XP, slow cdrw drive highlighting

theTIK

Gawd
With XP pro, when I highlight all the stuff in My Computer everything goes really fast until it gets to my cdrw drive. Then the highlighting actually lags. When I click each drive individually it highlights instantly, except the cdrw drive doesn't, there is a short pause before it becomes highlighted. You think this could be because of the built in CD writing utilities in XP? Or is there something wrong with the drive maybe? It burns fine, and its always done this too.

it's because the access time of an optical drive is pretty slow, and when you hi-light a drive icon, it usually requests information on the drive (media info such as name, size, etc). I think that's the reason. If not, oh well, it's really not that big a deal anyway.

Originally posted by TOOL1075
it's because the access time of an optical drive is pretty slow, and when you hi-light a drive icon, it usually requests information on the drive (media info such as name, size, etc). I think that's the reason. If not, oh well, it's really not that big a deal anyway.

I doubt its that because my DVD optical drive made by the same company also in my computer doesn't do this. :(

This happens with and without media in the drive?
Have you check DMA/PIO mode?

It seems odd that just to highlight would take a substantial amount of time.

Back