XP reading second harddrive that's win98?

Second

n00b
I suppose I should have researched a little more before installing this. But anyway I purchased a new HDD, and slapped XP on it, planning to read my old HDD (win98), and move all my data over as need be. But I don't know if ntfs can read fat32 or what but it just states the drive is not formatted. But if disconnect the new HDD win98 still boots fine so the data is still there, any way I can get XP to read my old 98 install?

XP should just read the FAT32 drive without any problems. :confused:
I assume you can see the drive in "my computer" and that's where it's giving you the error?

XP is what is gonna be reading the hard drive, not ntfs. And yeah, XP can read Fat32 just fine.

Well I see the drive in my computer, it just states it's not formatted. It won't show anything I have on the other HDD (win98)

try going to control planel -> administrative tools-> computer management -> disk management
what does it say about your win98 drive?

Volume: D
Layout: Partition
Type: Basic
File System: Blank
Capacity: 30 GB (the drive is actually 75GB)
Free: 30 GB
% Free: 100
Falut Tolerance: No
Overhead: 0%

So I suppose as far as XP is concerned there is not a file system for this drive. But I can remove the harddrive w/ XP and leave the harddrive w/ win98 and it boots fine w/ everything intact.

hmm... you wouldn't happen to have installed a BIOS overlay when you bought the 75GB hdd and installed win98 back whenever you did? When it boots, does it do the normal BIOS boot stuff, and then another.. .I don't know...IDE controller screen or something.. come up?

A solution I can think of, put the new hdd as secondary, then fdisk it to make it fat32. Copy your files over to the new hard drive. Then remove the old drive, make the new drive primary, and install windows on it, without deleting the data (I belive the option is "Leave current file system intact" when you're installing winXP)
after the install is done, there is an NTFS conversion tool you can run in winXP.
After all that's done, make sure you have your data, then plug in your old hard drive, and using the disk management thing, re-partition it (probably with NTFS, but it's up to you) and format it, so that you have the space. You can then move your data back.

Yes, twisted and long. I agree.

aye thanks, ya I forgot there was an overlay that needed to be installed so windows would see past 8GB's, Damn.. Thanks again.

Back