XP Re-install Guide

willie92

Limp Gawd
OK, I'm going to be getting an Opty here soon and I know I'm probably going to have to re-install Windoze in order for it to deal with having two brains rather than one correctly.

Anybody know of a good re-install guide? I've got XP on it's own partition with all of my applications and games on other partitions, so that should make it easier, but I don't want to miss anything...

willie92 said:
I've got XP on it's own partition with all of my applications and games on other partitions, so that should make it easier, but I don't want to miss anything...
I hope this gets stickied and made flashing as well. When you separate your applications from the OS, you still will have to re-install everything anyway, so it saves you nothing. I sincerely hope this myth dies quickly. Applications and games should be installed in C:\Program Files. That's the default, and there's no benefit in moving them elsewhere. Your data files, on the other hand should be moved to another drive or partition. Documents, installer files, mp3s, etc are better off separate.

Anyway, to answer your question, if this is one single drive, I would back up your data off the computer, wipe the drive clean and do a fresh install. No instructions are needed, because you simply boot from the CD and follow the instructions. Once you get a nice clean XP install up and running, restore your data files to the secondary partition, and you are good to go.

Back