XP Pro machine locks up when connected to router

Wanamingo

[H]ard|Gawd
In trying to bring my parents' computer up to date, software-wise, I have discovered that it locks up after about a minute of trying to establish a network connection after connecting it to my router.The machine is pretty old (Duron 950, XP Pro with SP3, 384MB RAM) but I never ran into any issues with networks or routers when I was running similar PCs back when. The NIC is using a Realtek chipset and I haven't been able to update the driver, which was my first thought. Any ideas?

First thing that always comes to mind when a workstation works fine off the network then spazzes out or locks up when put onto the network is malware\viruses. I'd suggest popping something along the lines of combofix from bleepingcomputer.com onto a jump drive and scanning the machine quick.

What do the link lights do for the specific port on the router you`re connecting to?

If they get real busy, real quick, you need to get it scanned quicksmart before anything that might be on there finds it`s way onto anything else on your network.

Try Portableapps.com and clamwin antivirus, runs, updates and scans from the usb disk. The app is installed and updated on the usb stick on one of your (clean) machines, then plugged in to the suspect machine and run clamwin... it will take some time on a 950mhz Duron but see what it comes up with.

Combofix is another good one as well, also get rid of all your temp files/cookies/accumulated crap BEFORE you scan, you don`t want to scan all this stuff only to remove it anyway after the scan...

As stated above, make sure the machine is clean. If it is, try a winsock reset- Open command prompt and enter this command:

netsh winsock reset

Then reboot. It'll rebuild the network stack and hopefully fix anything that's been corrupted.

Back