XP Pro for cheap

budec

Gawd
So, I'm going to upgrade to XP Pro (for gaming purposes, need pro because of duel proc) and want to do it legit.

The cheapest store around here has XP Pro Full for $300.00 USD :( Anywhere online where I could get it cheaper (I need full and not 'upgrade' since I've beening runing, um... non-legit operating systems... err I mean FreeBSD. ;) )

Well, since there are a lot of people posting about "Can I use XP again this" and "Where can I get XP cheap"

Newegg.com has the 3-User bundle of XP Pro OEM for $418 shipped. If you can find 2 other individuals on the [H] forums that need a copy, why don't you go in thirds and pick up a 3 user. It comes out to be about $140 a copy that way, which is still pretty cheap. Either that or buy an individual license key, they run about $80 - $85. Buyer beware though, I don't know how legit these guys are selling OEM licenses. ;)

Not to thread crap and such, but dual procs are not going to do anything for you in the gaming world. Your right, XP Pro will utilize both procs, but your games will see it as a single proc computer. If gaming is your thing, you'd be much much better off selling that combo and getting a single faster proc. Your system now is tailored more for video editing and would be about a fair gamer at best. I'm trying not to make assumptions on your usage, but if gaming is your thing, I'd be considering some hardware changes. If gaming is not the primary task, then maybe not.

djnes said:
Not to thread crap and such, but dual procs are not going to do anything for you in the gaming world. Your right, XP Pro will utilize both procs, but your games will see it as a single proc computer. If gaming is your thing, you'd be much much better off selling that combo and getting a single faster proc. Your system now is tailored more for video editing and would be about a fair gamer at best. I'm trying not to make assumptions on your usage, but if gaming is your thing, I'd be considering some hardware changes. If gaming is not the primary task, then maybe not.

Yep. understood. I do a lot of things with it besides gaming, and even when I game with Neverwinter nights for example, I'll run the server on one proc and the client on the other... both of them can max out both CPUs when under a lot of load.

I'm not a hardcore gamer, but XP should be better for what I do play then W2K (have noticed glitches and crashes in video/sound driver that my freind doens't seen on his XP box, but then again, he has a differant mobo/proc so it could also be that).

I have to re-build this machine anyways and might as well go with XP Pro over W2K since gaming is a hobby of mine and have to buy a legit version anyways.

I'm thinking about bout building another box for gaming, but at the very least I'm going to wait till Halflife 2 and Doom 3 are out before I build it. ;) :)

budec said:
I game with Neverwinter nights for example, I'll run the server on one proc and the client on the other

That is considering you have enough ram seeing how some of todays games get up into the high 300-500mb range

Yea, NWN doesn't take much memory though, unless it's a HUGE module.... the ones I play, I hardly even take more then 300 megs or so and that's with 12+ people :)

Not sure... but you used to be able to buy Microsoft software for cheap if you flashed a student id. Might want to ask one of your CS teachers.

Newegg sells XP Pro upgrade at an academic price. Around 83 dollars. My daughter, a college student, bought one and no problems.

If your a student *wink-wink* check out the student book store, your looking at ~$10-20 for many MS titles.

budec said:
w00t

got it from here:
http://www.tekdeal.com/item.asp?n=winxppcdk&d=44&sc=GOOG&k=AD4

Got it for $115.00, that local shop here was selling for $300.00 + tax ! :eek:

hehe, thanks guys.

I accidently order 2 copies.... I send them an email to change it to one, but if they fuck that up, I guess I'll just pawn the other copy on ebay or here..... I hope they fix it.

Hehe, NP. I knew those links would help someone somewhere.

SocceRich20 said:
Being a student, I was wondering if XP Pro Academic is the same as non-academic?

That's what I'm running and as far as I can tell, the only difference is the "Academic Edition" printed on the CD.

XP Pro/OEM for $50 read my reviews on heatware for confirmation of great deals :eek:)

Back