XP Pro 64 bit and no 64 bit drivers - anything I can do?

DellAxim

Gawd
I recently installed XP pro 64 bit and I'm trying to use a USB 802.11g adapter. Unfortunately, there are no 64 bit drivers for said adapter. Am I screwed? Is there no way to use a 32 bit driver?

Is there no way to use a 32 bit driver?

Correct. While UserMode has the lovely advantage of having a 32 to 64 bit datatype translation layer built in (WoW...no, it's the other one; Windows On Windows), you cannot do this in kernel mode.

If there are no 64bit drivers available in box w/ Vista, you best look for another adapater or contact the manufacturer and demand 64bit drivers.

I recently installed XP pro 64 bit and I'm trying to use a USB 802.11g adapter. Unfortunately, there are no 64 bit drivers for said adapter. Am I screwed? Is there no way to use a 32 bit driver?
Your choices would normally be [A] write the driver yourself or find another similar device and try to convince it to use that device's device driver.

Unfortunately (don't quote me on this as I never used XP x64) I believe XPx64's 'driver signing' nonsense prevents both solutions.

Unfortunately (don't quote me on this as I never used XP x64) I believe XPx64's 'driver signing' nonsense prevents both solutions.
XP64 does not have any kind of driver signing enforcement, although it will tell you when a driver isn't signed.

First rule of asking for help: list the product you're having trouble with. We're not psychic or in front of your computer. :p

It's possible that the manufacturer of the wireless chip inside the USB device has 64-bit drivers. I've found plenty of drivers by tracing back the device ID or chip model to drivers available by the manufacturer or similar other models using the same chip.

I've had mixed success in the past for altering the Win32 INF and getting some drivers to work. Granted, this doesn't work with all drivers but you can give it a shot. Let me know where the x32 drivers are and I'll download them and take a look for you.

I couldn't find a proper driver at first either. What I did (vista 64 + Zyxel m-202) for my adapter is first I hooked up my laptop and used ICS to get an internet connection, then used windows update to get the proper driver. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's an Airlink+ AWLL3025 adapter...I already contacted airlink, and they said they have no plans to offer a 64 bit driver.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's an Airlink+ AWLL3025 adapter...I already contacted airlink, and they said they have no plans to offer a 64 bit driver.

That dongle has a ZyDas zd121 chipset. I found this thread (though I admit that I didn't read it all) about getting it working with x64.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t528489-xp-pro-x64-amp-shuttle-pn18g-wireless-lan-kit.html

It's appears that shuttle used this chipset for some WiFi and you may be able to use the shuttle drivers.

Try the Hawking USB wireless adapter. I am using one and it works perfect on XP 64 bit.

Looks like the only drivers for that particular wireless device are XP32 and earlier from Airlink's web site and possibly Vista 32 and 64 bit through windows update.

Wireless adapter drivers have been the biggest problem with XP64 in my experience.

Back