XP on a netbook - how much space?

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by grizzed, Mar 12, 2009.

1. grizzed

grizzed Limp Gawd

How much space does XP take on the netbooks. A friend of mine was complaining her 8GB SSD only had 1 GB of available space. That didn't sound too bad, but it had me thinking, how small can they go?

2. Eva_Unit_0

Eva_Unit_0 [H]ard|Gawd

A base install of XP is really small, less than a gig. The biggest space waster would probably end up being system restore, I'd definitely disable it on a system with limited hard drive space.

8GB is plenty for a simple XP install.

3. GushpinBob

GushpinBob 2[H]4U

Actually a base install of Windows XP SP3 will clock in a little over 2 gigabytes.

You can do some things to save on space like disabling System Restore, turn off hibernation, reduce the size of the page file (not recommended).

What I would recommend is getting your friend an 8GB or 16GB SD card for her netbook. These things are getting cheaper every day ( ~$30-$40 last time I checked on Newegg) and make the ideal secondary storage solution for your typical netbook these days.

4. Eva_Unit_0

Eva_Unit_0 [H]ard|Gawd

I would recommend reducing the size of the page file. Most netbooks have 1 gig of ram. That means windows by default will use a 1.5G page file. I think that's completely unnecessary, especially for something designed for "light computing" like a netbook. I think reducing the page file to like 512MB is a good way to save drive space in this scenario.