XP music folder "play all" feature suddenly stopped working?

For some strange reason the play all button in all of my mp3 file folders ceased to function. The songs play fine by any other method. Any clue as to why this would occur? Thanks.

Did you just install/uninstall another media player, or change any settings in Windows Media Player?

djnes said:
Did you just install/uninstall another media player, or change any settings in Windows Media Player?

No sir. There were no changes to the system that I am aware of. The last thing I remember doing before I realized it was no longer working was check my email via mozilla thunderbird. I doubt thats related to the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555409

I followed these instructions...

Set Windows Media Player as the default media player for supported file types. Start Windows Media Player. Click on Start, point to All programs and click on Windows Media Player. In Windows Media Player, click on tools and click on options. Navigate to the File types tab and click on select all. Click on OK and exit Windows Media Player.

But it didnt work.How do I do this...

Disable third-party shell extensions. Third party programs that add shell extensions to Windows explorer usually have options within them to disable their respective extensions. Consult the documentation that provided with the third-party program to disable the shell extension.

Thanks for the help.

I believe the 3rd party shell extensions you're talking about are programs that do a Windows Explorer replacement and / or visual theming apps, like Visual Styles or Windowblinds. Chances are, you don't have either installed. I did some searching online and have found nothing...but I'll keep looking.

djnes said:
I believe the 3rd party shell extensions you're talking about are programs that do a Windows Explorer replacement and / or visual theming apps, like Visual Styles or Windowblinds. Chances are, you don't have either installed. I did some searching online and have found nothing...but I'll keep looking.

You are correct, neither of those theme apps are installed. Thanks for taking time to help with this - Aratech

ne0-reloaded said:
ive had that problem b4, i just recreated my profile and that fixed my problem

How do I make sure I dont lose access to my files? I have backups but i'd rather not reload 40 gigs of data.

Aratech said:
How do I make sure I dont lose access to my files? I have backups but i'd rather not reload 40 gigs of data.
It's just your user profile...not the entire hard drive. You'll lose only what's in My Documents and your internet favorites. Basically the Documents and Settings\Username directory will be deleted.

djnes said:
It's just your user profile...not the entire hard drive. You'll lose only what's in My Documents and your internet favorites. Basically the Documents and Settings\Username directory will be deleted.

I get the part about not having to reinstall everything. My question was how do I keep from having to load the files in My Documents back on the drive. Is there some where I can move them so they will still be there after the profile change. Sorry about the newb question. :confused:

Aratech said:
I get the part about not having to reinstall everything. My question was how do I keep from having to load the files in My Documents back on the drive. Is there some where I can move them so they will still be there after the profile change. Sorry about the newb question. :confused:

its no problems, everyone starts somewhere, and there are no dumb questions, but back on topic. to keep all your same settings theres some things you can try.

firstly you can run the Files And Settings Transfer Wizard (aka FAST). FAST allows you to copy all your files and settings from one profile to another. depending on the size of your user profile this can take a really long time. go start FAST go Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Files And Settings Transfer Wizard. When the wizard starts, select Next>Old Computer, then select the radio button that says "I don't need the wizard disk..." then click next again. Select the Other radio button and specify where you want the files to be save (i usually store it in C:\FAST). then click Next. Next it'll ask you if want to transfer Files, Settings or Both. Since you say you have around 40GB in your my documents, select Both, then make sure you check the check box that says "Let me select a custom list of files...." After you check the check box, click Next again. It'll present you with a list of items that's going to be transfered. Scroll down until you My Documents, highlight it, then click remove. If you have a lot of files stored on your Desktop, you may want to remove that folder. If you have a folder not shown in that list, click the Add button, then select the folder. After you click next the wizard will start backing up your data to C:\FAST unless you chose to save it somewhere else. When the wizard is done, create a new account, or login as a Administrator and delete your old account then apend .OLD to your profile name. For example. if your username is brandon, rename the folder to brandon.OLD (BUT DO NOT DELETE THE FOLDER!!!). That way when you recreate your account, you can keep the same username. When you log in with your new account, check to see if the play all button works. if it does cool, if not let us know.

when you login with your new account, go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. Click Next then select New Computer. Select the last radio button stating "I don't need the Wizard Disk...." It'll then ask you where your files are located. instead of browsing to it type in this \\ComputerName\c$\FAST\USMT2.UNC (make sure you replace ComputerName with whatever the name of your computer is). When your done click next and the wizard will restore your files and settings. Restart your computer and everything should like approximately the same. Go into your old profile, then one you added .OLD to the end of and copy your My Documents folder to it's new home. Be sure to make yourself an administrator when you create the account, or you won't have access to the folder.

If you need any more help, just let us know.

Back