XP Install Issue

TheOne&OnlyZeke

100% Irish
this is driving me nuts.
ok does Xp have an issue with 500gb HDD's?

i have a 500GB Hitachi Deskstar and i'm trying to install XP onto it.
after initial setup i get the NTLDR is missin error

i've manually copied the ntdetect and ntldr file to the drive...still the same thing.

i've installed XP onto this pc many times with no issues, but this 500gb HDD is what i want as my boot drive.
the drive itself is fine. no problems with it at all.
anyone got any idea's?

i've tried all the usual fixes (recovery console etc...)

The only thing I can think of right off the top of my head is that depending on which SP your cd is, it may not detect the whole drive during setup. sounds like you're beyond that point though.

anyone got any suggestions on this?
at this rate i'll have to install XP onto my slower 120gb SATA again....which sucks

There shouldn't be any issue with partition size, but just the same, it might be a worthwhile experiment to try making the partition smaller.

You may also wan to check your bios to see what options if gives you in reguards to your hard drives. Look for something that lets you switch between DOS and NON-DOS setups and try each of them.

i've tried using only a 30gb partition and same result.
as for HDD options.
the drive is picked up by using the auto settings. all 500 gb's of it
only other options i have is Large seting or Auto again (using an Asus An8-E)

-l-Z3K3-l- said:
i wonder should i try a FAT32 format on a small partition and see what happens

DONT! I tried installing FAT32 on my lappy coz i thought there's a very slight speed increase! crap! i got windows errors all the time! FAT is teh shit man

if it works i'll do a convert afterwards. but i doubt it'll work.
gonna check the boot.ini file after this. see if its pointing in the right direction

Is this SATA? Assuming it is, are you installing the drivers for it, or letting Windows detect it? If you are letting Windows handle it, you may want to see if there are updated drivers available for your SATA controller.

well windows is picking up the drive on setup itself.
but i've now tried adding the drivers to windows manually (using the F6 option)
now i'm getting "missing operating system" after the file copy section

Back