XP: How do I move boot files from one drive to another?

VulturEMaN

Gawd
You know...like the autoexec.bat, boot.ini, config.sys, io.sys, msdos.sys, ntdetect.com, and ntldr ?

I had an installation of XP on my C: drive and it got infested with a virus when someone didn't mention they unplugged the hardware firewall. After ridding it of virii, I still didn't trust it (it smelled funny....like non-kraft processed cheese), so I installed XP onto my 2nd drive, which had almost nothing on it. I finally have the new install perfect and sexified, and I was going to wipe the first drive, but then I realized my apparent dillema...

anybody have a suggestion as to what todo?

If I'm understanding what's going on....something like Ghost would let you clone your second drive to your first.

Not quite...although I could do that...

If I wipe my C drive, then I lose all of the files related to startup procedures (see my first post). I was wondering if I could somehow move those files to my D drive so I could then wipe my C drive.

I could just use Ghost like you said, but that would involve obtaining a copy of it through some means, and it's a much simpler fix, then I'd rather do that instead of waiting a kajillion hours to copy 50gigs over...

What about a repair install from the recovery console, on the drive you want bootable?

A repair install on my os would be impossible, seeing as how I'm messing with my own personal nlite version, which is devoid of many windows utils :p

Boot from your CD and run it that way. It should ALWAYS be installed locally, but that's for another thread.

Boot from your CD and run it that way. It should ALWAYS be installed locally, but that's for another thread.

You misunderstand...I've actually modified the installer cd...

but I guess I could dig around the house and find my old xp cd...i haven't used it in ages :p

I undetand that, but I didn't think you could remove that option, nor could I see a reason to do so. Aside from adding drivers, I can't see why anyone strips out there XP discs. Do you know how many starnge problems we've seen on these boards on computers using an Nlite install?

I undetand that, but I didn't think you could remove that option, nor could I see a reason to do so. Aside from adding drivers, I can't see why anyone strips out there XP discs. Do you know how many starnge problems we've seen on these boards on computers using an Nlite install?

most were probably not done with the new 1.3 version of the program.

I finally made my own perfect version with office, 10 other various progs that I use, all of my settings, video and sound drivers (not made by nvidia and not made by creative, so packaging them is easier), and other various sexistuff :p

There are so many duplicate files and useless drivers on your xp disk that it makes life a little nicer to not even have them to deal with. It's also nice to have all of the recent windows updates integrated into the cabs...they take up way less room than downloading them (i think it's 100+mb of downloads, but packing them into xp only raises the filesize by 40 or so mb).

With no updates integrated, and rarely used junk thrown out, I can get an xp install down almost 200mb (from the 575mb mark) and have almost 1500 less files.

Back