XP Home: server service stuck on starting

SuperPimp

2[H]4U
Ok, the printer on my computer (which is running XP Pro) runs out of ink, so I decide to use the printer attached to our computer (running XP Home) in the other room via a network share. This computer isn't on the same workgroup as the other one so I change it and share the printer. After a few problems (I had some services turned off that needed to be on on the XP Pro machine) everything seems to be working dandy...until I reset the XP Home machine.

Some weird shit starts to happen such as...
When restarting or shutting down it just hangs at the "Saving Your Settings" screen
Cannot access Network Connections folder
When I open Internet Explorer it doesn't come up but it is in Task Manager

I narrowed the problem down to the fact that the Server service gets stuck on starting, but I have no idea why. I tried changing it from Automatic to Manual but that didn't work. The only thing that fixes the problems mentioned above is to disable the Server service, which of course prevents me from networking my two computers.

If you have any idea what the problem might be I'll be happy to hear it, and if need more info I'd be glad to provide it. This is really aggravating me. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like svchost.exe (Generic Process for Win32) is corrupted on that box or you may have a virus. Do you have any firewall software running on any of these machines or the internet connection firewall?

Any other strange issues occurring?

I'd do a full sweep: A/V scan, Adaware / Spybot, Registry Cleaner, then try to extract and overlay the svchost.exe file or do a repair of the installation.

Back