XP-home or XP-professional????

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Do both of these OS'es take advantage of dual core CPU's? What is the advantage of XP Professional? Does it handle IRQ's differently? handle more CPU's, etc..... Thank you

Both take advantage of multi-core processors. Home Edition is only licensed to use one CPU socket, while Pro can use two. (Sockets are not the same as cores). XP Pro allows you to join a domain network, install IIS for mail, web, and FTP serving, things like that. If you don't need those things then stick with Home.

beanman101283 said:
Both take advantage of multi-core processors. Home Edition is only licensed to use one CPU socket,

Thank god!!! I am in the middle of speccing my new system with intent to buy mid-Nov.
It will be a Core2 CPU and I got thinking the other day with me with XP-Home is MS going to deny me my dual-core?

I don't need all the things Pro gives me, only have XP for gaming

eeyrjmr said:
Thank god!!! I am in the middle of speccing my new system with intent to buy mid-Nov.
It will be a Core2 CPU and I got thinking the other day with me with XP-Home is MS going to deny me my dual-core?

I don't need all the things Pro gives me, only have XP for gaming
You have to think of it in terms of sockets...not cores. Pro supports two sockets...Home only supports one socket. Whatever you can stick in a single socket, they will both support.

Back