XP filesharing...simple question

THRESHIN

2[H]4U
hi, thanks for anyone that helps out. i'm a little new to windows XP and tis file sharing system over networks. i'm running XP pro with the service pack and patches, i am at a college and we're all on a big LAN.

my question is this: i wish to share certian folders (yes i can do that;) but put passwords on these folders for anyone to get into them. i do not want to deal with a password at startup. still being new to this system, can anyone give me some tips on setting this up? i've done this in the past with win98SE, just want to figureit out for XP (or something similar)

thanks!

Just add the new users, Windows should still start with out a password.

IF you don't have a password you NEED to set one for your account, then I believe in the users control panal you set the default user that logs in. If not you can get the XP power tools and the tool called tweakUI will allow you to set that. TweakUI is at Microsoft's site however I'll have to post a link later when I'm not so lazy.

I believe you'll find the FAQ helpful. Give it a shot and post again if you have any questions.

yeah i gave that a try, and i already had tweakUI. i got a password on the account and it logging in without asking me, but if someone else connects to my shared folders through the LAN it doesn't ask them for a password.(IP or directly, its seperated by parts of the building but we can access through IPs)

any thoughts? and thanks for the previous help, i did pick up a bit from that.

So.... If a remote user access a share on your computer it is NOT asking for a password and want it to ASK for a password?

If that is what you'er getting at try this. Go to folder options, (I beileve any folder tool \ folder options) click the advanced tab and UNcheck simple file sharing. This will turn off simple file sharing (ugh that seems like an AOHELL option to me), basically it uses the guest account for all sharing purposes... that tottally defeats the puppose and security of NT file sharing permissions.

Back