XP Faster Startup and boot times

dyesan

Limp Gawd
So I was wondering how you guys speed up your boot times.

I do the normal msconfig startup processes disabling and disabling some of the useless services in...well, Services.

I heard of people doing things from deleting fonts to modifying the Prefetch in XP to disabling IDE in BIOS (given use of all SATA connection).

Also, when I do a Selective Startup with option /SOS, I see that windows does a disk check for each partition I have on my HDD. Anyway to disable this?

So, what can I do to make it quicker? What do you do?

START>run> msconfig, then u goto BOOT.INI, then select NOGUIBOOT, the windows xp loading screen wont load giving you an extra few seconds quicker loading time.

also run bootvis, download it from the net, it will put startup files at the front of your harddrive so they load quicker.

just a couple of tips that will help in speeding up boot times.

word of warning.

some AV programs like avast have a scan before boot option, if the NOGUIBOOT is selected then you wont see the virus scan as all you will get is a black screen although it will still scan, just that you wont be able to see it.

CHKDSK on bootup does the same thing, so you may want to disable NOGUIBOOT if you know your going to perform those actions before bootup, but 99.9% of the time you wont be using them and will just be booting your pc as normal, so it is worth having NOGUIBOOT selected...

Back