XP dual boot with Linux

kwmarc

Limp Gawd
I havent yet decided which distro i am going to throw onto this machine but my question is this: I already have windows XP loaded on this machine with 3 partitions. Can i install any distro of linux i want on one of the other partitions and do a successful dual boot? Am i going to have to mess around with grub to get linux to see the XP install? If i remember correctly Red Hat was pretty good about finding other operating systems so im assuming i wont have much trouble but i just wanted to poke my head in here and find out. Thanks.

I'd also consider Vmware workstation to run the Linux OS in as a virtual machine. Depends on your needs, but it's a worthwhile consideration about 80% of the time. It's a very good $189 investment.

Depends on the Distro...most of them you will have to add winXP by hand...and yes, you should be able to delete a partition and use that space for Linux.

I would consider Xandros Open Circulation ED.. It's based on Debian and it will set up WinXP for you...it's also a good distro for cutting your 'nix teeth on.

Yes you can dual boot, and most Linux distros are good about it.
SuSE is incredible, and you might want to look into that. I also just downloaded the trial of VMWare and oooohh, no more restarts to just fool around in linux. HURRAY!

Be on the look out for CoLinux developing more. Looks promising.

HHunt said:
It's not a bad idea to have a lot, to put it that way.

^^ What he said. I have 1 GB of Memory. However! It actually doesn't use a lot. What it does use however is Virtual Memory, and truck loads of it. While Running my PF will go from 200MB all the way to 1.5GB to run.

I also learned today, that SuSE 9.2 64 bit edition won't work with VMware. The 32 bit one I hear works. So I ended up installing SuSE 9.1. Yuck. Also, know that how you initially set up the Virtual Drive is how it will stick, specically when disabline certain things, like the Network card. I can't accesses the internet through SuSE since I turned it off in the begining. SuSE also didn't like when the VHD was set as IDE. Through SCSI it worked fine.

Look into Topologilinux as well.

Back