XP: Config 192.168.*.*->LAN, all others -> wireless?

Frangible

Limp Gawd
I just got moved to a new office and the wired internet connection is rate-limited so browsing, email, news, IM etc is now a bad thing (tm). However there are several public access points and I have a wireless network card.

Can I specify that all local (192.168.*.*) traffic gets sent to the LAN, and all other traffic goes through the wireless card? Is manually editing routing tables the only way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

That scenario will work.

Someone please pipe in for a permanent fix

The use I have for it is with a ethernet link to my lan and a point-to-point link over firewire to a second box.

The way I get it to work is "Whatever interface I enable last becomes my default gateway"

Soooo in your case, enable your lan first and enable your wireless second.

If anyone has a more precise fix, let me know, that would make my setup simpler.

While what are you suggesting is possible I wouldn't advise it. It your company has locked down what is allowed on the network there is normally a reason for it.

What you are proposing to do is to make your computer a backdoor into the network. Depending on where you work it's a fireable offense... or if you are lucky maybe the IT people will just shut you out of their network completely.

Frangible said:
I just got moved to a new office and the wired internet connection is rate-limited so browsing, email, news, IM etc is now a bad thing (tm). However there are several public access points and I have a wireless network card.

Can I specify that all local (192.168.*.*) traffic gets sent to the LAN, and all other traffic goes through the wireless card? Is manually editing routing tables the only way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

im assumming you not in IT...

If you even have an IT dept then your going to get a bitch slap and a box to put your stuff in before you leave real quick. I know you would on my network... but really why is the wireless public? is it not under WEP or WPA? and what amkes you think the APs arnt setup the same way (slow as crap on internet)

EDIT: ohh yea, chances are if you hard line is rate limited then I would assume that there no only monitoring bandwith and where it is comming form, but what is eating it (like what your doing) There going to know if you useing someone eleses wireless..

and runnig the risk of bringing in a worm, virus, trojan... spyware....

If you enjoy participating in the US unemployment ratings and enjoy discussing weather while standing in the unemployment line then by all means, go for it!

I appreciate the concern guys but don't worry, this isn't a risk to my job (I already talked to the sysadmin, who didn't care, but wouldn't help me either, he's pretty busy), and I'm not about to start using IE to browse the web or download birthdaycard.exe.vbs from my email either. Main thing is simply that this is a temporary location (I'm in a friggin HVAC closet) and the hard connectivity is limited.

Regarding the suggestion of bringing up the wireless last, that's what I've been doing, but no traffic ever goes to the wireless card. If I change the metric to favor wireless, the traffic goes to the wireless card, the problem being all the traffic does... and development servers, Outlook exchange servers etc don't resolve.

Back