XP and internet causing problems

bob

2[H]4U
Im using win98se in 16 color mode on my "gaming" computer again... XP is trying to test my patience, and I cant take much more.

Ive reinstalled windows three times, each time the same junk happenes.

I get my RT2500 802.11g wireless card installed, my 10/100/1000 realtek NIC going, other various drivers and start using internet over my wireless card

Im getting a signal at -60db, and I usually get up to 30Kilo-Bytes per second before my bandwith limiter slows it down to around 8kbs.

My ISP reserved me an IP address, which obviously works in windows 98. In XP, on the 1st time, I used my reserved IP address that they provided me. XP ran internet great, I downloaded Gentoo linux, burnout videos, and a bunch of other crap.

About 2 hours later, I Restated windows. upon loading, my wireless card connected, and I got a cute popup saying "connected 11mbs connection Very good". and a little yellow triangle saying "there is an ip conflict with another computer on the network".

I called my isp, and the tech guy says there is no ip conflict, my card is authenticating their 802.11b access point, and my IP is still reserved. We tried ipconfig /release and about 1/2 hours worth of other things with no luck. They said the problem is definatly on my end and there is nothing they can do.

I went and bought XP SP2 to replace my backup cracked copy, and reinstalled. I installed my ralink RT2500 drivers, video, networking sound... I used internet 24/7 for about two days, and then about 20 minutes ago things just came to a halt. No activity, server not found errors... I went to settings and clicked on that repair button...

disabing wireless card, releasing crap, enabling, enabling crap, retrieving IP address.....

And there it sat for a few minutes and popped up that damn ip conflict window. I couldnt get it to do crap.

Its not my card, my connection, or my isp. Windows 98se uses internet all day every day like a real operating system should. Something is crapping up my network in XP, because there is no conflict anywhere on my ISPs wireless network, its just windows xps imagination..

What is going on!?

Back