XP Activation / Passing Genuine Validation

Hi, I was just working with XP PRO SP2 in VMware and I wanted to know if I'm getting a glitch where it is letting me activate it more than once and passes the genuine portion. Firmly I would like to know how the validation plays a role if I am activating windows and once I disconnect the network, I am then able to install media player 11 which requires a validation.

I've tried to find the answers all over but it's time to ask the [H] crew ! Thanks for your time.

Doesn't WPA allow you to activate a few times before it forces you to call the Microsoft mothership? So in theory you could install it on three or four PCs before you get in trouble.. allthough that would be illegal.

Speaking of virtual machines - what are Microsofts licensing terms for virtual machines? I mean, if I create two virtual machines on my PC and install XP on both of them, in addition to running XP on the "real" system - does this count as one physical PC, two (one for the "real" pc and one for the virtual machines) or does it count as three separate physical computers?

I would assume it would count as another computer since VMware talks about activating. What has me stumped is how it would allow me to activate online and not force me to call as you have mentioned. Hence if someone was to get their hands on my cd.. I would not be happy. Anyone have a friend at MS to answer this lol .. But thank you JimmiG

Back