XP-90c on ATI X850pro flashed to X850XT PE? Feel free to share opinion

alik4041 said:
http://www.overclock.net/peltiers-tec/57296-lapping-fx57-better-heat-transfer.html#post608238

"Make sure no metal is on the pins, pretty much detail clean up. and poof any were from 5-18degrees cel drop in the processor temps. idel and full load."

So my max was off by 2C. Sue me :rolleyes:
That's lapping an IHS, not a core ;)

I dunno if I'd ever do that either, as much as I want to. it would be an obvious void of warranty

and video cards don't have an IHS on them, so no need to lap it :D

ROFLMAO, my bad :p didn't know the difference lol. Bet ur a lil skeptical about the mod now lol

Nah I just don't like the idea of making huge physical modifications to expensive hardware ;)
(Taking IHS off a CPU and/or sanding the CORE, or just sanding the IHS)

but adding a HSF to your video card is much less risky, as long as you can support the weight :)

ChingChang said:
That's lapping an IHS, not a core ;)

I dunno if I'd ever do that either, as much as I want to. it would be an obvious void of warranty

and video cards don't have an IHS on them, so no need to lap it :D

Almost all of them have a shim around the core though. I dont know how bad/good they are these days, but I remember the one on my 9700 Pro being like 1mm above the core. Causing a gap, ATi used very thick TIM's to make up for the gap.

As for the mod, I highly recommend against it. In all honesty this would take an extreme amount of care/skill. I dont want to sound harsh, but by the sounds, alik4041 may not have it.

That is wat a lot of people are saying. What I'm trying to accomplish is proof against their word of saying it can not be done. :D

Sanding the IHS really won't get you 5-18C. If you read the article, the guys has no idea what he's talking about. He gives reasons why not to remove the IHS, as if simply sanding it is better. He claims his "before" overclock on his FX57 was 2.8 Ghz, which is stock.

I have perused the IHS removal threads, and believe me, removing the IHS is going to drop temps more than just lapping it. And when people remove the IHS entirely, the temp drop is from about 2C to 15C (didn't i mention this earlier?). Read through this thread
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59068

I have personal experience, on my 3000+ Venice CPU @ 2.95 Ghz, removing the IHS dropped load temps by 5C, but that's all. If i had only lapped it, i'd be lucky to get 2C. The thing about having an IHS is is that you've got heat transferring from the core, through thermal epoxy, through the IHS, and then through more thermal paste and finally to your heatsink. Removing the IHS gets rid of that thick slab of layered metal and the cheap thermal epoxy that AMD and Intel use for contact between it and the core. Anyway, nothing against you, but the 5-18C temp drop for lapping the IHS is totally bogus.

Absolute0 said:
Sanding the IHS really won't get you 5-18C. If you read the article, the guys has no idea what he's talking about. He gives reasons why not to remove the IHS, as if simply sanding it is better. He claims his "before" overclock on his FX57 was 2.8 Ghz, which is stock.

I have perused the IHS removal threads, and believe me, removing the IHS is going to drop temps more than just lapping it. And when people remove the IHS entirely, the temp drop is from about 2C to 15C (didn't i mention this earlier?). Read through this thread
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59068

I have personal experience, on my 3000+ Venice CPU @ 2.95 Ghz, removing the IHS dropped load temps by 5C, but that's all. If i had only lapped it, i'd be lucky to get 2C. The thing about having an IHS is is that you've got heat transferring from the core, through thermal epoxy, through the IHS, and then through more thermal paste and finally to your heatsink. Removing the IHS gets rid of that thick slab of layered metal and the cheap thermal epoxy that AMD and Intel use for contact between it and the core. Anyway, nothing against you, but the 5-18C temp drop for lapping the IHS is totally bogus.
Thanks for the info dude. :) I really can't do anything tho with this for my cpu cause my motherboard can't go higher than 3.4ghz in bios :( I use clockgen sometimes. But now I'm just tired of OCing my cpu on a crappy motherboard. So I will wait for my next upgrade when I build an M2 socket system. I can wait :D. If I do this mod to my x850 pro, I should be more than fine. But again thx for the info and also for not blaming me for posting false info :p

alik4041 said:
Thanks for the info dude. :) I really can't do anything tho with this for my cpu cause my motherboard can't go higher than 3.4ghz in bios :( I use clockgen sometimes. But now I'm just tired of OCing my cpu on a crappy motherboard. So I will wait for my next upgrade when I build an M2 socket system. I can wait :D. If I do this mod to my x850 pro, I should be more than fine. But again thx for the info and also for not blaming me for posting false info :p

You are welcome, i am only trying to help, sorry if i seemed overly aggressive at any point.

M2 is going to be good stuff pretty soon ~6 months now i think, i have heard a rumor that we'll be seeing a 3.0 Ghz dual core CPU.

Best of luck on the GPU mod.

Thanks. I really think it's gonna be one of the easiest mods I've ever done :D Hope fully it will challenge the crap outta me and get me really pist off but come out just the way I want it :p

I am planning to mod my case tho first. So for all of you who expect this done tommorrow, dont count on it. I will be painting my case with a chrom base and then probably arounf 4 layers of blue on one side and four of red on the other. Of course, I'm not just gonna paint one side one color and the other another. I'm gonna come up with some kind of design so I can combine the two colors :D expect pics

Hey Absolute, remember this

"9500 is way better than the XP90. I had an XP90 and my 3000+ Venice with 1.58 volts got over 50C loading. I think the XP90 is an outdated cooling solution.

The 9500 and TT Big Typhoon are the coolers to look into.

Which one is better? I trust benchmarks
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...ead.php?t=73103
plus the big typhoon is cheaper."

It just came back to bite you in the 4$$ lol. I bet I can get cooler temps with a 9500. I would play it smart tho and use this 120mm fan :D HAHAHAHAHA The god of all 120 fans
http://xoxide.com/120mm-nidec-fan.html

As you can see, if the 9500 is cooled down 5C more, it will be pretty even with the TT. And since a change in fan speed from 1420 to 2500rpm (1080rpm difference) can get you 4C cooler on the Zalman. Since 2500rpm with a 92mm 2500rpm fan is around 50CFM, I'm guessing I can beat the crap outta the heat with this 120mm fan with 112CFM!!!

And I also think that this would be a more challenging mod since I would have to deal with a cricular type of HS. So I think this needs a poll, if you guys think so ;)

CRAP!!! (banging my head on da wall) How would I be able to bench the two when I only have a 9500!?!? Well dis sux. You're lucky absolute, you woulda lost da bet lol :p ( I saved you the pain of seeing the TT crushed in action ;) ) Well anyway, do you think that there should be a poll as to which one, Zalman cnps9500 led or da xp-90c?

alik4041 said:
Hey Absolute, remember this

"9500 is way better than the XP90. I had an XP90 and my 3000+ Venice with 1.58 volts got over 50C loading. I think the XP90 is an outdated cooling solution.

The 9500 and TT Big Typhoon are the coolers to look into.

Which one is better? I trust benchmarks
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...ead.php?t=73103
plus the big typhoon is cheaper."

It just came back to bite you in the 4$$ lol. I bet I can get cooler temps with a 9500. I would play it smart tho and use this 120mm fan :D HAHAHAHAHA The god of all 120 fans
http://xoxide.com/120mm-nidec-fan.html

As you can see, if the 9500 is cooled down 5C more, it will be pretty even with the TT. And since a change in fan speed from 1420 to 2500rpm (1080rpm difference) can get you 4C cooler on the Zalman. Since 2500rpm with a 92mm 2500rpm fan is around 50CFM, I'm guessing I can beat the crap outta the heat with this 120mm fan with 112CFM!!!

And I also think that this would be a more challenging mod since I would have to deal with a cricular type of HS. So I think this needs a poll, if you guys think so ;)

CRAP!!! (banging my head on da wall) How would I be able to bench the two when I only have a 9500!?!? Well dis sux. You're lucky absolute, you woulda lost da bet lol :p ( I saved you the pain of seeing the TT crushed in action ;) ) Well anyway, do you think that there should be a poll as to which one, Zalman cnps9500 led or da xp-90c?

A couple things

1) a 120mm fan won't fit on a 9500. You'd have to chop off the tips of the fins in order to get a 120mm fan to fit.

However, if you look at the TT Big Typhoon, it does use a 120mm fan, and it can easily be modified to use whatever monstrous 220 CFM fan you can dig up, while the 9500 can't.

2) if you look at your graphics card, and look at the space between it and the bottom of the case, it is hard to imagine a 9500 in that space. Thats because it won't fit. Not with my Ultra-D with the GPU on the top PCIE slot anyway. The 9500 is 125 MM tall and i just measured the space and it doesn't fit. Maybe the weight problem would be relieved if you had the 9500 resting on the bottom of the case! lol, but you'd have 0 open PCI slots, which isn't cool.

So 9500 won't fit under the GPU and won't take a 120mm fan. Stick to the XP90, or maybe just try an old AXP or P4 heatsink, those work well. I've torn up a few stock coolers on GPUs before putting my waterblocks on, and stock GPU cooling really sucks, any heatsink is better.

I looked through some heatsinks and i found something smaller and lighter (374g) that should cool a GPU just fine.
http://www.case-mod.com/store/arctic-cooling-super-silent-ultra-socket-478-cooler-p-1236.html

hmm, didn't know the 9500 was that tall. But I wasn't planning to mount the fan on the 9500 lol. I was planning on modding the fan into the case so that it would be about 6 inches away from the 9500, but angled straight at the center of the Circular part of the HS. This would be very effective, but looks like I'm not gonna get a chance to try that. I still think that the fan is mountable in my case cus I really think i got enuf space under the gpu. Will measure space when I get home. On vacation right now on laptop :D .

This is how I will be modding an XP-90c on ATI X850pro :)

If you have any ?s, feel free to ask or share your opinion ;)

Here

that looks pretty good. Nice design. :)

hope you don't mind hearing loss though, with that vantec tornado :p

Hey, if you're really gonna do this mod I say REALLY make it [H ]ard!

1.Cut all the cooling fins, right at the point where they go from narrow to huge, 2-3 cm in from the top.

2.Get a butane torch or something else that will get hot enough to allow you to bend the heatpipes.

3. Bend the portion of the hs that has the big fins still attached backwards 270 (90 would also work, but not as well) degrees.

4. Viola! You now have:

a) The heatpipes using the tendency of warm matter to rise.

b) you have exhaust directly out the side of your case.

c) The ability to set up a push/pull fan rig through the big portion of the fins.

d) The ability to set up a smaller fan to cool right over the core like in a traditional HSF for CPU.

e) PCI Slots :p Some people still need them occasionally.

f) The option of bolting the fan(s) to the side of the case which eliminates the weight issue.

g) The right to give me credit if it works j/k

|H| The Hardest, most disgustingly awesome GPU cooler around-a real one of a kind.

superkdogg said:
Hey, if you're really gonna do this mod I say REALLY make it [H ]ard!

1.Cut all the cooling fins, right at the point where they go from narrow to huge, 2-3 cm in from the top.

2.Get a butane torch or something else that will get hot enough to allow you to bend the heatpipes.

3. Bend the portion of the hs that has the big fins still attached backwards 270 (90 would also work, but not as well) degrees.

4. Viola! You now have:

a) The heatpipes using the tendency of warm matter to rise.

b) you have exhaust directly out the side of your case.

c) The ability to set up a push/pull fan rig through the big portion of the fins.

d) The ability to set up a smaller fan to cool right over the core like in a traditional HSF for CPU.

e) PCI Slots :p Some people still need them occasionally.

f) The option of bolting the fan(s) to the side of the case which eliminates the weight issue.

g) The right to give me credit if it works j/k

|H| The Hardest, most disgustingly awesome GPU cooler around-a real one of a kind.

Sounds like a great idea and all, but where am I gonna get a butane torch lol :p

Just to throw out there, this is a 9800XT with a Swiftech heatsink, probably the MCX462-U or something like that.

TopView9800XT.jpg

Sapphire9800XTModded.jpg

BetterShotOfTheBack9800XT.jpg

SideView9800XT.jpg

Not mine, but isn't it sexy? It looks really polished and well-done.

alik4041 said:
Sounds like a great idea and all, but where am I gonna get a butane torch lol :p

Not my department. Propane would probably work as well, I don't know for sure. If you're seriously considering doing this you're both crazy and motivated enough to figure out how to get a torch that will do the trick.

only thing that would hold me back from doing this is to have the copper pipe explode because of the lowered air pressure inside the heatpipe. Don't wanna die anytime this year ;)

_Korruption_ said:
Just to throw out there, this is a 9800XT with a Swiftech heatsink, probably the MCX462-U or something like that.

TopView9800XT.jpg

Sapphire9800XTModded.jpg

BetterShotOfTheBack9800XT.jpg

SideView9800XT.jpg

Not mine, but isn't it sexy? It looks really polished and well-done.

That does looke nice :p

Back