XP-90c on ATI X850pro flashed to X850XT PE? Feel free to share opinion

alik4041

[H]ard|Gawd
I was thinking about taking an xp-90c and attaching it to my x850pro which i flashed to x850XT PE which is running at 540/590. I am using the x850 pro stock cooler right now.

currently with stock fan full speed, 540 core/ 590 mem:
Idle- 35C
Load- 52C

I am thinking about getting the xp-90c attaching it, and putting a vantec 92mm tornado on it with a fan controller to control the rpm of the fan. Since the HS is very heavy, cus it's all copper, I was thinking about giving it a lil support by doing some modding. Still thinking about how I'm going to give it a lil push up so the hs doesn't pull the card with it and break my X850 card. Any ideas, opions, or info would be greatly appreciated. I am also hopping to get a high overclock out of this. And I heard that overclocking memory gives bigger performance boosts than ocing the gpu. Is this true? I was thinking of getting these BGA ramsinks to cool my gpu ram since they're all copper. What do you think. I might have a fan blowing over them too.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3811

This card btw is AGP. Please fell free to share your opinions, ideas, or any info you might have.

How do you plan on mounting the HS to the card. I'm pretty sure that the XP-90 won't mount with out some extensive modifications.

that would be pretty bad ass....but your gonna need a lot of modification, since it mounts using the s478 style...stilll, this would be impressive, I'd like to see it done.

I think your reported temps are off. An overclocked X850 series card should load in the mid 60s to 70C. Not that 52C isn't possible, but i'd be very skeptical if i saw those temps.

As for the XP90, i have one and i think it is just too big and heavy. Talk about losing some PCI slots, you'd lose about all of them. It would require extensive modification, and it would be so heavy that it would put a lot of strain on the PCB and be dangerous to transport.

Putting a heatsink on a GPU would be better if you had a smaller heatsink. If you really want to get into gpu overclocking, you should look into watercooling and volt modding IMO.

I am not asking if I am capable of doing this mod cus i know i am :D . But what I am asking about is if there might be small problems in the way this will work. For example, xp-90c uses heatpipes. So basically if you took a HS that uses heatpipe technology and flipped it over, would it work or not in transporting heat to the fins?

I also plan to make a type of steel support so that it would pust the fan and heatsink up and push it against the card just a lil bit so that the support would handle the complete weight of the xp-90c. I would still securely attach it to the card, but just so that nothing happens to the pcb, it will be supported 100%. So I'm safe there :p

About my x850 pro's temps being believable but not accurate, my pc is down in my basement. My basement is freezing, freezing cold. Yes, it's that cold. My fingers get numb when I'm play CSS for 10 minutes. I also opened up the 4 open slots under the card and put a fan that pushes air into the stock cooler's fan so it gets cold air all the time from outside the case. That air is pushed by the stock fan thru the fins of the stock cooler.

just to give you an idea of the HS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...deon X850PRO 256MB AGP 4X/8X Video Card - OEM

After the cold air goes thru the fins and cools off the heatsink, it becomes hot air which exist's out on the right side and is pushed up towards the cpu, but before it reaches the cpu, there is another fan to put the hot air out to the rear fan. So cold near the bottom case on the outside goes in, and hot air comes out of the rear. Hot air rises so hot air is never reused in the case. This hopefully explains my gpu temp. When my pc was upstairs in my room, it would continually crash. This occurred for about an hour cause I took my pc down to the basement the next day. I flashed the card 30 minutes after I bought it :p yes I will do anything for more power lol. My Idle temps were 55C at fan 100% and 72 at fan 100%. So as you can see, I had to move it. I hope this explains my card's temp. I am on my laptop right now at my friend's house but will have no problem taking some pix if you have any doubts :D

About my pci slots, I only use one and that's for my Audigy LS. So I'm good there :D

And btw, xp-90c performs just as well as water cooling if not better (when hooked up with a 92mm tornado at full blast).

I will be getting into vold modding pretty soon as it intrests me a lot. Only reason I won't get into watercooling is because of the price. I can get a lot better than WC results if I put I did this mod and put it in my basement.

Please, if you have any other questions or ideas, please feel free to share your thoughts as for there are things that I might have not thought of that you probably have :D

Sorry, had to post this in 2 posts. For some reason hardforum wouldn't let me post that long of a post

heat pipes?

thermalright FAQ said:
Question 13:
My Thermalright heat sink has heating pipes. Does it matter if I position they up or down?

Answer :
Our heating pipe system is designed to work both ways. Having the heating pipes facing up or down depends on how they fit your motherboard best.

but it would be positioned differently on a video card

and you should be able to make some supports out of wood (dowel rods?) or metal poles. Dowel rods are pretty damn cheap, and you wouldn't have to worry about them shorting anything. You could use hot glue from the corner of the video card to the bottom of the case. Most video cards don't have anything on the corner, if it has the power connector could just attach the rod to the bottom of the connector.
Or you could epoxy it if you wanted something more permanent :)

can always invest in real cooling like I did :)

frontfinished.jpg

you can unscrew the p4 style clips, so u have 2 holes, then turn the heatsink and bolt it through the stock holes :)

id rather u, use something light and small like an SI-97 which still kick ass.

I have seen a XP90 fitted on a GPU, forget where the article is. I think a XP90C would be way to heavy. If your looking for a good GPU cooler tho, check out the Zalman 700 series. It keeps my X800XT 30* C idle and 40-50 load(according to ATT).

Unoid said:
can always invest in real cooling like I did :)

frontfinished.jpg
Seriously, if you are going to do all that work you might as well get wet... better results with less BS involved.

We want pics! It sounds plasible...despite the space taken and praying the heatsink doesnt break the card =P

I mean, i've seen pics of 6600GT AGPs on a P4 775 heatsink :eek: and that looked sexy...

TheTMan said:
Seriously, if you are going to do all that work you might as well get wet... better results with less BS involved.
Watercooling is for pussies.

Only the [H]ard attach huge ass heatsinks to their GPU, and modify the card/case to support the weight :D

I remember a while back someone had planned to mount an SLK-800 or 900 to their videocard, but I don't remember if it was even finished. Although I would like to see the end result of such a mod, it would take some interesting engineering feat to get it both mounted and to actually be stable enough so that you could move the case without endangering your videocard. If anything, go with something smaller/lighter than the XP-90C.

ChingChang said:
Watercooling is for pussies.

Only the [H]ard attach huge ass heatsinks to their GPU, and modify the card/case to support the weight :D

And watercooling doesn't involve modifications? I hope you don't think we mean TT bigwater when we say watercooling.... custom is the way to go, and custom water > huge slabs of metal hanging from a GPU. Not that i'm against a project, i see how it would be fun to do the proper modifications to get teh XP90C to work, it is just that IMO watercooling would be the more effective solution in the end, 'specially when you put it to work on the CPU as well.

Absolute0 said:
And watercooling doesn't involve modifications? I hope you don't think we mean TT bigwater when we say watercooling.... custom is the way to go, and custom water > huge slabs of metal hanging from a GPU. Not that i'm against a project, i see how it would be fun to do the proper modifications to get teh XP90C to work, it is just that IMO watercooling would be the more effective solution in the end, 'specially when you put it to work on the CPU as well.
do you actually think I was suggesting going with the heatsink over watercooling because it would be more effective??

Having a high end CPU heatsink as a VGA cooler is not something you see everyday, makes it more original, and would be a fun project :)

If I had an extra XP90c I'd do it to my card too :D

ChingChang said:
do you actually think I was suggesting going with the heatsink over watercooling because it would be more effective??

Having a high end CPU heatsink as a VGA cooler is not something you see everyday, makes it more original, and would be a fun project :)

If I had an extra XP90c I'd do it to my card too :D

I suppose i took the "watercooling is for pussies" comment too seriously :p

Theres a place called SVC (think its for Silicon Valley Compucycle) and i ordered my XP90 there for 25$. According to a few benchmarks i've seen, the standard XP90 performs within 1 degree of the XP90C. I would probably go for a different heatsink for this mod though, maybe a zalman 7000 depending on the length of the fins...

wow, cool idea man can't wait to see this realized.
maybe it would be helpful to have support from above AND below...
i really need to start doing wacky stuff like this myself.. :D

I think I'd try this mod on a cheaper card first. you know, just in case you snap it in half. :p

ChingChang said:
It can be done.
I know it can and for everyone that says go watercooling, ur not [H]ard lol. screw watercooling. This can be done and I will be more than happy to do this project :D Will post a lot of pics, don't worry. But I don't know when I will get started as for I still haven't ordered the thing and have a lot of Homework to do rofl. Again, I just want to reassure you, THIS CAN AND WILL BE DONE. God it feels so good to say that :p

Watercooling is also more expensive. Around 80 bux for a good waterblock. Pump, radiator, tubing, reservoir.... too damn messy and expensive I say.

ChingChang said:

Having a high end CPU heatsink as a VGA cooler is not something you see everyday, makes it more original, and would be a fun project

If I had an extra XP90c I'd do it to my card too

Infact that's why I'm doing it. It should be something fun, and should be as much hassle as watercooling for less than a third of the price.

I will probably be lapping the xp-90c unless I see that there is no need.

**************Another question, is it possible to lap the x850 gpu?

Again thanks for all ur help guys :D

Yeah, you can lap cores. Eclipse lapped his processor core, but it's not something I'll ever recommend. Cores are already flat enough imo, and it would be very hard to lap a GPU since you can't take it out. Too risky for me.

http://www.easypckits.com for cheap quality lapping kits :)

I suppose i took the "watercooling is for pussies" comment too seriously :p
yeah, I guess I should have thrown in a "wink" or something :p

Wow. Thanks for the site dude. Unbelievably cheap. How fast do they usually take to ship?

ChingChang said:
Yeah, you can lap cores. Eclipse lapped his processor core, but it's not something I'll ever recommend. Cores are already flat enough imo, and it would be very hard to lap a GPU since you can't take it out. Too risky for me.
Well you usually lap a core so that you can have better contact with the heatsink. For example, if you try lapping an FX-57, you will reach a copper surface. This will usually lower your temps from 5C to 20C! Huge difference. But if the x850 core doesn't have a copper surface under the name, I will have no interest in lapping it.

ChingChang said:
Well you usually lap a core so that you can have better contact with the heatsink. For example, if you try lapping an FX-57, you will reach a copper surface. This will usually lower your temps from 5C to 20C! Huge difference. But if the x850 core doesn't have a copper surface under the name, I will have no interest in lapping it.

alik4041 said:
Wow. Thanks for the site dude. Unbelievably cheap. How fast do they usually take to ship?

Well, I've never actually ordered anything from the site. Dave sent me a kit for free before he setup his website. He used to post here under the name "insulglass" and had a contest to come up with a name for his website. Mine didn't win, but some of my suggestions made him laugh so he send me a kit for free :D

but, here's his shipping policies, it should be pretty fast
Shipping:

Here are our general shipping policies:

* Shipping and handling is NOT a profit center – your costs are simply what we need to pass along within a few cents for convenience.

* Some shipments are governed by regulations. For example, the Post Office requires that the glass kits be shipped in a box, which raises the price of shipping.

* Products are generally shipped the next business day after payment is confirmed, and will let you know ahead of time if fast shipment is not possible. If we can’t ship your product as soon as we’d like, we’ll let you know why not.
I'll be ordering another kit for my HR-01 this week :)

alik4041 said:

Do you have any documentation of this? 5-20C for lapping a CPU core that is already very flat? The biggest drop in temps comes from removing the IHS, and that is only good for 2-15C, only more if the IHS contact with the core is extremely poor. I cannot imagine that lapping a CPU core would drop temps more than removing the IHS.

FWIW, my X850XTPE fully overclocked loads at 35C on my "pussy" watercooling and my normal 70F ambient temps.

Absolute0 said:
I think your reported temps are off. An overclocked X850 series card should load in the mid 60s to 70C. Not that 52C isn't possible, but i'd be very skeptical if i saw those temps.

My card loads at around52C ....sometimes less if the room temp is cooler....

This is a bad pic, but this is the cooler Viper John uses..And it keeps my baby nice and cool :)

Crosshairs said:
My card loads at around52C ....sometimes less if the room temp is cooler....

This is a bad pic, but this is the cooler Viper John uses..And it keeps my baby nice and cool :)

I'm talking about stock cooling. Obviously when you've got a big heatsink on your GPU, i expect you to get better temps than stock so i dont doubt that you get 52C load. The OP said he's on stock cooling which is why i said i would be skeptical. The OP also pointed out that its freezing cold in his basement where he keeps his computer, that's why the load temps are so low.

ChingChang said:

Something wrong with me doing watercooling the right way?

X850XTPE @ 594/600 (yeah yeah the memory is shot when it comes to overclocking)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/absolute035/GPU temps/finaltemps1.jpg

Average temp around 35C, ATI tool has been loading it for over 20 minutes and that even puts some load on the CPU.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/absolute035/GPU temps/finaltemps2.jpg

Idles at 28C (used to be 26C but my heatercore is started to get clogged with dust, also i measured idle temps after doing a half hour of load
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/absolute035/GPU temps/finaltemps3.jpg

Ambient temps
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/absolute035/GPU temps/70F.jpg

Crosshairs said:
Nice temps bro.......Clock that baby up some more :)

Thanks.
It is really a poorly clocking X850XTPE, its a connect3d i got back in July. I had high hopes for it but it is disappointing. Gets artifacting and crashing in 3dmark if i take it past 600 core, and the memory is pretty bad too despite having OCZ copper heatsinks on it.

Temps are qutie low because besides having the watercooling, my watercooling is situated such that my rad has two 120mm Panaflo U1As on a fan controller as intake. I turn them up to medium and my intake is probably around 160 CFM.

And i'm sorry i derailed the thread with my watercooling stuff. WC is relatively expensive, but i didn't want proper WC to be underestimated.

Absolute0 said:
Something wrong with me doing watercooling the right way?

X850XTPE @ 594/600 (yeah yeah the memory is shot when it comes to overclocking)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/absolute035/GPU temps/finaltemps1.jpg

Average temp around 35C, ATI tool has been loading it for over 20 minutes and that even puts some load on the CPU.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/absolute035/GPU temps/finaltemps2.jpg

Idles at 28C (used to be 26C but my heatercore is started to get clogged with dust, also i measured idle temps after doing a half hour of load
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/absolute035/GPU temps/finaltemps3.jpg

Ambient temps
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v729/absolute035/GPU temps/70F.jpg
No, watercooling is great.
I just figured you took my comment about watercooling being for pussies the wrong way :p

Biggest hs I have modded on a card is an alpha pal 8045 (pretty large, 80mm H*W) I got awesome temps with it on a 6800 (low 40's) with a 20cfm 80mm fan. a xp90c should deff be able to fit with extensive modding. Support? I never used support, maybe thats why it died, who knows.

I remember when the socket 7 HSF I stuck on my Geforce 256 looked gi-normous. Only took up 2 PCI slots - nothing like what you guys got.

Absolute0 said:
Do you have any documentation of this? 5-20C for lapping a CPU core that is already very flat? The biggest drop in temps comes from removing the IHS, and that is only good for 2-15C, only more if the IHS contact with the core is extremely poor. I cannot imagine that lapping a CPU core would drop temps more than removing the IHS.

FWIW, my X850XTPE fully overclocked loads at 35C on my "pussy" watercooling and my normal 70F ambient temps.

http://www.overclock.net/peltiers-tec/57296-lapping-fx57-better-heat-transfer.html#post608238

"Make sure no metal is on the pins, pretty much detail clean up. and poof any were from 5-18degrees cel drop in the processor temps. idel and full load."

So my max was off by 2C. Sue me :rolleyes:

Back