XP/7 computer how to reinstall XP without loosing dual boot?

oqvist

[H]F Junkie
I googled for 30 minutes but it failed :(

You always loose dual booting when you reformat XP which is on my primary disk C.

What is the correct way of reinstalling it. I would like to reformat to get rid of all ev crap in there but I don´t want to spend hours getting 7 running again as well having to reinstall that as well as I generally have to.

Is there some application after reinstall that will reenable the 7 as an option for booting?

http://www.vistabootpro.org/

but... it's a freaken paid app. I just bit my tounge and reinstalled, anyways. Just XP takes almost an hour to install, compared to... 15 min for Win7?

EDIT: it's all because Vista/7 no longer use the boot.ini file, but another (actually, IIRC, it's the WinPE loader also used to install Vista/7) bootloader that is harder to modify.

ouch... I forgot to mention I have Vista on a separate harddrive if that make things easier?

Thanks! I reinstalled XP tried vista boot pro just to find it doesn´t work in XP :p.

how do I repair boot loader? I tried the repair start up option at the top. Now it sees my installation but I still don´t get to choose it when booting up. Hope I didn´t mess up since I accidently used an older version of 7 to repair. I am using the RC btw.

Last edited:
Back