XP 64 and Ubuntu 32

Druelt Vas

n00b
I cant get Ubuntu 64 live CD to work (after the linux kernel loads monitor loses connection and computer just sits there idle). So I have XP Pro x64 installed as my main, and then I have Ubuntu 32. Could any problems arise from having two different types of OS's?

Also, since I have 4 gigs of RAM (well, probably ~3-3.5GB in 32 bit Ubuntu), I should be fine without a swap file or partition I presume? Not going to be doing super intensive stuff anyway.

Not sure about the swap file, but you shouldn't have any issues with the two OS's.

On a side note, I also had that same problem with Ubuntu 64. Apparently it's a video card thing.

On older versions of the installation CD, you'll have trouble booting with 8x00 series nvidia cards - I had the same problem with my Thinkpad R61 (with the Quadro equivalent of the 8400). There are two solutions - either risk it and download the Hardy 8.04 CD (full release due in a week or so anyway), or download the alternate installation CD, which has a text-based installer. Once that's done, you're free to...

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
....and you're home free.

Note that there are still some problems with the combination of Compiz Fusion and the Nvidia drivers when running 8x00 cards - I get corruption on scrolling windows once the card's physical memory has been exhausted. However, using the compositing engine in XFCE with the same drivers works fine, so I suspect a bug in Compiz (this is the reason for the graphics card choice in my sig).

Back