XP 32 Vista 32 & Vista 64 Triple Boot?

Hello
Since I have 4 gigs of ram i am wanting to make the jump to a 64 bit os, but i don't want to let go of my good old XP. BUT i read that since Microsoft has a fee to get the drivers digitally signed, the support is flaky.

Since I am upgrading to a DX10 Graphics card soon i want vista, AND use all my 4 gb of RAM.....and keep XP there in case shit.

so i thought: XP for stability, Vista 64 for everyday use, and Vista 32 when Vista 64 dosent work with a certain app (Game).

Is that possible? I tried goggle, but all the triple booting help i got was for XP Vista and Ubuntu.

So what do you guys say? Any suggestions?

Sounds like a hassle in the making; in all honesty I haven't encountered a game that didn't work on x64 Vista and driver isssues (apart from a somewhat obscure fingerprint scanner) haven't existed for me.

OMG already just go to Vista 64bit. no need to load 3 different OS's

I actually did do this. For about a day.

I also had each OS on a different HD and was just messing around.

What games or programs are you using that work on Vista 32, but not on Vista 64?

i don't have vista yet, but some of my friends do. and they complain that certain games don't work. mostly older games pre 2004.

Anything that only runs 32 bit will run on Windows On Windows. You should not have trouble running older apps. Give up the 32bit Vista.

BUT i read that since Microsoft has a fee to get the drivers digitally signed, the support is flaky.

Microsoft maintains that the signing requirement is only to "identify the author/creator of a piece of software or code so that the author/creator can be approached in the event a reliability issue, vulnerability, or malware is discovered. Signing is not designed to confirm the “intent” of signed code (i.e. good or bad), or whether exploitable bugs or malicious code is present."[13] The required authenticode certificate for signing Vista drivers are expensive and out of reach for small developers, usually about $400-500/year (from VeriSign). : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Windows_Vista

So you're going to take the time and effort to write a device driver and can't come up with $500 a year? A device driver is not trivial. Do you really won't one running on your computer from an outfit that can't come up with $40 a month? I know I wouldn't.

At any rate, like Zardoz, just run x64 unless you have hardware or software that's critical that you can't run. That being the case, check in virtualization options, many which are free. The time of 64 bit has come.

Sounds like the best plan if you want to guarantee back-compatibility. Any DX10 game will surely work on Vista x64, the developers must know that it's becoming increasingly popular - especially among their target market. For the few old games that won't run on Vista, XP will be fine.

I also vote sticking with just Vx64... That's what I run at home after moving from XP and I haven't had an ounce of trouble.

Give up the 32bit Vista.
That would be my vote. Having Vista x86 and Vista x64 on the same system is redundant. Hell, you could even run XP in a VM. The games I've found that didn't work so well with Vista, aren't usually 3D accelerated, so they'll work in a VM, no problem.

I've got both Vista64 and XP32 on my system, (2 seperate drives); and I haven't been back into XP in about 9 months. I'm even playing back through Fallout, ('97 I believe) on vista 64and have no problems with it.

I don't think you'd have any problems; that's what I'm about to do. I've got XP on my 80 gig C: drive, and it takes up at 15 gigs of space. I think I'll devote 50 gigs for the Vista x64 install, and leave the other 30 for XP. I'm gonna use GParted to partition the drive. What are you going to use?

I went with Windows Vista x64 close to a year ago. There are only one or two things that don't work with Vista x64 that I need for work related purposes. I've got an XP box seperate from my main machine for those few applications. Game wise I've had no issues with Windows Vista x64. I've got two Vista x64 machines, 1 XP 32bit machine and 1 Vista 32bit machine. My laptop is the only one running Vista 32. I've had no issues with it either.

I'd just go with x64. There is very little out there won't work with it.

i have a 40gb drive for windows, i partitioned 10 for xp and 30 (26.53) for vista 64. i thought ahead and when i installed xp i left space for when i decided to install vista. its not even allocated. ill format and install vista there.

i will be installing vista 64 either tonight or tomorrow

+1 for Vista x64.

Also, a triple boot seems a bit excessive.

Multiple Windows OSes can be a pain in the ass to manage. It really isn't needed as just about everything works in both versions of Vista. I just don't see any reason to have Windows XP on my machine anymore.

With that said there are no really compelling reasons to hurry and upgrade to Vista. However I like it because its' different. Six years plus of looking at Windows XP and I'm tired of it.

What you want is easily doable but I'd also agree that just XP and Vista x64 are all that's necessary.

Be sure to install XP first and then begin the Vista install from within the XP os...that way the Vista bootloader will automatically integrate the XP install (it will call it a "legacy OS").

the main reason for me going to vista 64 because i am jumping on the DX10 bandwagon (even if we aren't really seeing any differences right now) and i want to use my 750 stolen megs that xp 32 doesn't see. and if the ram prices keep dropping like they are i might get another 2GBx2 kit of the ram i have and make it 8gb.

i had vista a short period on my work pc to just mess around and it was taking like 1.5 -1.6 GB of ram doing nothing.

and i read that 4gb of ram on vista is like having 2gb of ram on xp. so 8gb is not really overkill

i might just delete XP after I feel comfortable with Vista.

well right now im in windows 64 just updating it, later on today ill try and play some games and see how it behaves.

right now i have 53 procecces open and its taking up 34% of my 4gb of RAM

thats with my xfi, g15, g9, everest, IE7, winamp, and updating

well after 2 days in Vista 64 i see everything working as it should. games, apps, etc.

The only things that did not work are CORETEMP app and my EchoVoice 1.4 app (Used by my g15 to see my Counter-Strike stats during games). out of the 2 i miss the EchoVoice app the most :(

You just need Vista x64. I have no idea where 'the word on the street' is coming from but Vista is perfectly fine in every way. People think Microsoft is neglecting Vista or something. I mean, considering they want everyone to upgrade to it, they are going to completely ignore it and let it become buggy and not support it!

well after 2 days in Vista 64 i see everything working as it should. games, apps, etc.

The only things that did not work are CORETEMP app and my EchoVoice 1.4 app (Used by my g15 to see my Counter-Strike stats during games). out of the 2 i miss the EchoVoice app the most :(

There is a newer version of Core Temp that does work with Vista x64.

I just got Vista Ultimate64 just for gaming, I wanted to use it as my primary OS but did have many problems with it (older programs) but no big deal since my second PC has XP on it and probably will still be in use as my regular workstation. Vista however I love the ways run on it, the only game that seems to have some sort of a problem is KINGPIN (the old fist person shooting game in the streets) sounds are awful and doesnt sound clear like it was on XP. Maybe I need to do some more tweeking on it..

Actually ill take it back regarding the Kingpin game, audio works great now. I uninstalled it and re-installed it. thats it, weird oh well now I can enjoy the game....

it runs fine. I even Updates to 1.21 and the audio runs good. What audio card you using? on board?

It went back to the bad audio quality again, but I figured out the problem. It kept changing the settings on the game to low no matter how many times I would change it to high, however I right clicked to the game icon - Compatibility tab and change the mode to XP. Now it auto detects it to high and works 100%. Oh I am currently using onboard sound. I soon will buy a sound card (trying to get a good one that is not expensive. thanks

glad you could get it to work.

Now if they released the game with a new game engine....
U3....i can dream...

I've got both Vista64 and XP32 on my system, (2 seperate drives); and I haven't been back into XP in about 9 months.

I had that for 6 months, until a month ago when I removed XP32 and now use that drive as storage. Since getting rid of it I haven't felt the slightest desire to at least have XP32 available.

Back