XoticPC/Sager Notebook

exiled350

2[H]4U
Does anyone have any first hand experience with xoticpc.com I am in the market for a new laptop and im looking at the sager NP8156. They have an A+ rating from the BBB but thats not really a reason to buy from, an F would be is a reason not to though lol.

Seperatly does anyone have any experience with sager notebooks, I want something with more go than show which looks like they fit the bill, but how durable are their chassis?

Seperatly does anyone have any experience with sager notebooks, I want something with more go than show which looks like they fit the bill, but how durable are their chassis?

I received my first Sager (NP5670) back in 2007. It is still being used today. I've had to replace the battery a few times, but that has been the only issues I have had with it thus far. The second, an NP9380, was ordered in 2013 with no issues with that unit either.

So from my small sample size, they have been rock solid even though I lug my Sager to and from work every day.

In Feb of 2016 I ordered two Sager NP8677 17" laptops with I7 Skylake i7-6700HQ and Nvidia 970M 3 GB with G-Sync and 32 GB of ram. Ordered it with a small M.2 SSD and added my own other drives.

Great machines and I could not be happier. My wife uses hers with 2 external monitors for streaming on Twitch and I run various virtual machines for testing and work so that is why we have 32 GB of ram.

It was a one time pain adding extra drives since the whole bottom of the case had to come off but it was easy enough.

I've bought a number of Sager/Clevos from Xotic going back quite a few years and have had nothing but excellent service. Can only say good things.

Only issue I had with a Sager was a while back with an x7200 where the CPU cooler wasn't fixing tight enough. They replaced the cooler array and returned within a couple weeks if I recall, no problem.

As for Sager/Clevo laptops themselves, they're the most "generic" of gaming laptops. They're by no means bad, but don't expect slickk design, high-end materials, or light-weight and thin chassis. They're essentially big plastic blocks that allow you to add high-end components that are a lower-priced than comparably-performing laptops from other builders. "More go than show" or rather "Not interested in paying for the show" would be a good description.

To employ an analogy, while MSI may be a Honda, Sager is a Hyundai: both models may perform the same, but the Honda may use slightly better materials, better design etc.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any first hand experience with xoticpc.com I am in the market for a new laptop and im looking at the sager NP8156. They have an A+ rating from the BBB but thats not really a reason to buy from, an F would be is a reason not to though lol.

OP, what's your budget? Also, are you wanting to game on the computer as well?

I don't have a budget per se, but rather a set of specs I'm looking at. Kaby Lake i7 GTX 1060 15.6 1080p and full color backlit keyboard. the Sager seems to fit the bill ESP since I can order it sans HDD and os, which frees up room for 120hz display. It's strictly for playing world of Warcraft and is replacing an HP sandy i7/6770m which can barely keep 30fps at 1080p.

I can never figure out the difference in many of these models.

The 8156 vs 8157 for example. Are there subtle differences in the case?

I don't have a budget per se, but rather a set of specs I'm looking at. Kaby Lake i7 GTX 1060 15.6 1080p and full color backlit keyboard. the Sager seems to fit the bill ESP since I can order it sans HDD and os, which frees up room for 120hz display. It's strictly for playing world of Warcraft and is replacing an HP sandy i7/6770m which can barely keep 30fps at 1080p.

Sounds like that system should fit the bill just fine!

well its good to see all the positive things to say, ill probably pull the trigger late feb early march. Ill be sure to update when i have it in hand.

I had my boss buy a Sager about 5-6 years ago with an SSD. He's still very happy with it. I was very impressed with the build quality. It seemed very durable.

My first XOTICPC order was pretty horrible.

Bought laptop, received with EXCESSIVE amount of light bleed on all four sides/corners. Not sure how this was allowed to be shipped to me the way it was. They had my configuration wrong as well (swapped hdd out for SSD, still shipped with a 1tb hdd).

Contacted to return, approved, took over a month for a refund. No i'm not exaggerating.

My second purchase wasn't all that great either, I figured i'd give them another chance.

Made order on a laptop, decided to get something else so an hour goes by and I request a cancellation to avoid their fee's. Pat from XoticPC tells me they can't since I went pass their 4 hour cancellation window or some BS like that but clearly I didn't. I would be charged a 15% fee if I had them cancel it. I asked if I received the laptop and returned it for a refund would I void the 15% fee? He said yes. So I waited for the laptop, returned it losing about $15 vs 15% fee on shipping and gaining another bad experience from them. Ever since then I don't shop on there anymore. They could have easily cancelled the order and be done with it yet sent me the laptop anyway just because of "procedures" to refund me. A very flawed system.

Last edited:
I am glad my Sager NP8677 laptop has two 2.5" drive bays on top of each other. The 15mm 5TB drive just fits.

16708264_10155063618296692_8461703047928643478_n.jpg

I bought the 17" one with 6700hq & 1070 from them. Great customer service super fast. Best price I could find ATM. You can even save like $100 or so by not getting a hard drive and OS if you can provide your own solution for that. Highly recommend.

Back