Xorg locks up -- Fedora 14

djstarfox

Gawd
A strange problem has crept up. It's only a little predictable. Whenever I login to GNOME (runlevel 5), there's a chance that my computer will hard lock. Sometimes it's immediately after logging in (desktop is shown); sometimes it's after I start a couple applications. After a few seconds of being locked, my screen goes PINK with flashing characters on it. If I'm in runlevel 1 or 3, system is completely stable.

At first I thought it was Firefox (one of the apps), so I yum remove and yum install it again. That seemed to help. But now it's when I start BOINC, Virtualbox, or just the desktop. It's unpredictable, so I'd say 1 of 4 tries it locks up.

Only solution has been to hit reset button on computer. I hate doing that because I know it's only inviting code/data corruption. What is wrong with my PC?

Only thing that's changed recently is that I gave it a good cleaning/dusting last weekend (and added 2 more drives). I hope nothing is boned. :confused:

Sounds like you have bad RAM.
Change out and test some of the memory.

I've had this exact same thing happen with other OSes as well.

Ran 2 pass MemTest+ and no errors. I think it's the video card. Got the dreaded "GPU has fallen off the bus" in /var/log/messages right before the lock-up. Time to RMA the video card? It's still under manufacture's warranty.

Back