Xorg.conf and 7950GX2?

milkweg

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone use a 7950GX2 video card in Ubuntu? If you do would you please post your xorg.conf for me. I've got the card running in X ok but everytime I drop out of GUI to command line it messes up the card settings and have to reboot to get them back.

are you using the 'nv' driver or the 'nvidia' driver?

post your current xorg.conf :).

[and, no I don't have that card, but I do have a few 6600's, which should use the same arguments, if you're using the binary driver]

Yes, I am using nv driver. I know the lines for a single card but 7950GX2 is dual PCB card and needs tro be set up differently. I am not in Ubuntu right now so will post xorg.conf later. But if you are thinking I need help with single card setup then you won't be able to help. Thanks anyway. I need help with SLI or dual monitor setup. I think Ubuntu thinks I have dual monitors or something when it is really a dual PCB card in one PCI-E slot. Doesn't really matter as I don't like this card and am getting an exchange done with the manufacturer of the card so hope no to have it much longer. Then I get to do the driver dance in Ubuntu once again. Linux really needs to make a simple thing like chaging a video card a more friendly experience for the end user.

it is easy, if you go from nvidia to nvidia and use the 'nvidia' drivers then you can literally swap the card with no issues.you are using the opensource nv driver, which does not support the newer cards. make sure you have the nvidia drivers installed, sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new, or use synaptic and install that package. Change nv to nvidia and it should work, if not you can either get failsafe x working and use the nvidia-settings app to configure your video card and display settings. or use, 'sudo nvidia-xconfig --no-logo' from command line and you should be good.

I did go from Nvidia Geforce4 to 7950GX2 and it was not as easy as you say. In fact it was a complete mess and I couldn't even get into X. I had to use commands I found on the internet, by searching with my other computer, to remove the Nvidia drivers and start over. Still had issues so ended up formatting and installing Ubuntu 7.10 as I was still using 7.04. No, it was not easy and painless at all and I still am having issues when I go outside of X. I did use apt-get to get the drivers but will try that 'new' switch and see what happens. Seeing it was anew install though I expect the newest drivers were installed already. The issue is because I have a dual video card and Linux doesn't know how to handle it correctly. Not until I find the correct syntax to put in my xorg.conf anyway.

to my understanding, if you have the right drivers (a version that supports that card) that setting up the 7950s is the same as setting up a single video card. Make sure you are using a driver that supports the 7950 card. I would recommend you use the Nvidia-glx-new package, as its newer then the nvidia-glx package, which is slightly dated but to my understanding why there are three packages is because at some point nvidias drivers became not so unified, so there are drivers for legacy cards, and then there a bunch of cards that are not in the legacy drivers but are not in the latest drivers, so the ubuntu devs needed to create a new package the nvidia-glx-new package. And X handles multiple cards quite flexibly, SLI on the other hand is something I have never dabbled with in X. However, I had assumed as well you were upto date on updates and upgrades although Feisty Fawn also had the nvidia-glx-new package.

Thanks for trying to help but it doesn't matter anymore as I have started an RMA with EVGA over this card. They sent me the 7950GX2 as part of another RMA and it turns out this card is not properly compatible wity either of my mb's. Yes, it works but has issues on both even in Windows so they are sending me a different single card which should be here in less than a week so there is no point in me screwing around with driver installs as it will be gone soon. I will use your suggestions if the next card causes me any issues. Thanks again.

Crap! So I put in an 8800GT and took out the 7950GX2. Once again I get no X server screen just because I changed my friggin' video cardI Have to spend and hour researching on my other computer how to sort it out and when I do I find it doesn't give me the native res of my LCD even though it shows this LCD in the re-configure options. Chose the right series of video card too. The modeline it created had the native res listed and for some reason 1920x1080 which this LCD can't even do. The straw that broke the camels back was that every time I rebooted it asked me to re-configure the monitor and graphics card. That led me to say screw it and completely dumped Ubuntu. A simple thing like changing a video card should not be this much of a hassle. Used the extra HDD in Vista instead where it had no problem swapping out video cards at all. Bye-bye Linux.

I *think* I have a 7950gx2 ... (agp)
my xorg.conf was very trial-and-error (bsd) to get it to run with
the /nvidia-driver/ driver and
ALL OF A SUDDEN IT WORKED. (freebsd)
way speedier than the other it replaced by 30 percent or 300 percent (I forget)
I posted somewhere on freebsdforums.com/forums/ about it.
where I declined to post the xorg.conf due to
...I never copy and paste, no time usu.
...it was /is a mess (many commented lines)
what might have fixed it was: the NULL within the MetaModes string. you can
maybe find that on the nvnet forums ??
the hard part, tho, was the dual-98FE booting
(agp)
as the latest driver did not support that card.
One mfr. though, cobbled together a hacked driver which saved the
dual boot on that.

i dont believe there is a 7950gx2 on agp

it might be a 7950gt (which i have, and yes mine worked fine with the nv and nvidia driver, quake 4, doom3, all played great

i was using freebsd as well :)

i dont believe there is a 7950gx2 on agp

it might be a 7950gt (which i have, and yes mine worked fine with the nv and nvidia driver, quake 4, doom3, all played great

i was using freebsd as well :)

you are correct. 7800 GS. (everything else about my post is the same
afaik)

Well, I thought I would try Linux form a pendrive and it runs from within windows so you don't need to boot to it. Same BS, scrambled screen and no X server. My Knoppix Live cd has no issue on the exact same hardware. Next I am thinking of setting up Ubuntu to boot from an external USB HDD but that requires me to physically disconnect my SATA HDD's and then reconnet them after Ubuntu is installed. Can't be arsed to do that right now but may later. I think the attraction of Linux for many people is that they are sado-masochists.

remember the ubuntu disc does not come with the nvidia drivers, so try booting with the gfx safe mode option to boot using vesa instead of nv

Ubuntu cd comes with minimal Nvidia drivers, just not the GLX ones that Nvidia provides. I can get Ubuntu running with any Nvidia card fine if I do a fresh install, it is is when I change video cards that it becomes a PITA. Even if it is just a different Nvidia card with a different chipset it takes a huge dump.

Back