Xonar Essence STX very minor bug - anyone else?

rastaban

Gawd
Since there are so many STX owners here, I figured I'd throw this out there.

Has anyone noticed that the Dolby Pro Logix IIx function for the headphone in 2 channel mode sounds slightly left-channel biased? I've owned the card for over 2 years now and no driver update has fixed this. However, this quibble is more of an OCD complaint as I listen to music in Hi-Fi anyways. I'm just curious if anyone else has this problem or has noticed it.

Last edited:

EarlKeim

Gawd
For your issue, check your headphone's male stereo audio jack. Is it crooked? Does it plug securely and uniformly? I have had a bent stereo mini-plug that would cause the channel drop-outs.

Impulse

[H]F Junkie
Could just be dirty too and the Dolby mode just accentuates the imbalance somehow.

rastaban

Gawd
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked all the plugs and they all look quite clean to me. I even cleaned out my ears...but still no change.

My setup is
Xonar STX > 1/4"TRS M/F extension cable > 1/4" to 3.5mm M/F TRS converter > AKG K702

I took away the extension cable and the issue persists. I never use the function so it doesn't bother me that much. Perhaps I just have a buggy card.

If any of you get a chance, please test it out again. The left channel bias is very slight. I'd say it is no more than a 60/40 split. It is most obvious with medium-high range and female vocals.

gamerk2

[H]ard|Gawd
Just for kicks: the Windows balance slider is balanced between the two channels, right?

rastaban

Gawd
Just for kicks: the Windows balance slider is balanced between the two channels, right?

Yup. Clicking the Dolby Pro Logic IIx button (for the 2 channel mode) causes a shifting of some sound to the left ear.