Xonar DSX or Sound Blaster Z?

YARDofSTUF

[H]ard|Gawd
Asus Xonar DSX:
https://www.asus.com/us/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_DSX/

Creative Sound Blaster Z:
http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-z

Using onboard audio right now and I've gotten tired of the static and noise when gaming, I assume the graphics card's fan or extra heat is causing it.

Mainly using an Astro A40 headset, sometimes an old 4.1 logitech speaker system. I'm assuming both cards would easily meet my needs, but considering my noise issue with the onboard, the SNR of teh Sound Blaster is making me think the extra 20 bucks for it is worth it.

^ That. The DSX isn't bad, but if you can get an SBZ for $20 more you probably want to go for it.

What makes the SB-Z a "much better card" than the DSX?

I recently picked up a DGX but I'm a bit unsure about it and have been considering the SB-Z (OEM or retail). Don't get me wrong, the DGX is working fine (i.e. no driver issues etc.) but something about it just hasn't set my world on fire. I'm not sure the headphone virtualisation is quite right but it might just be in my head.

Also, I asked this in another thread, are people just using the Win8 drivers for the SB-Z in Win8.1? The reason I ask is that there are no official WIn8.1 drivers from Creative.

We will be reviewing the entire Sound Blaster Z sound card series and EVO headset series very soon under Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

How soon is very soon (are we talking days or weeks)? Only reason I ask is that I will need to return my DGX if I am going to swap it...

Thanks for the info, I'll grab an OEM Z..

Syphon, I was considering a DGX cuz of the headphone amp earlier, but heard a lot of people say it sounded hollow. [H] reviewed the Xonar line a while back and seemed to think the same of the DGX.

Alos I'm not a fan of using the headphone virtualisation feature on any sound card so far. Always sounds weird.

Hmmm...

That wasn't how I read it at all. If you're referring to the following:

Hard Review said:
The Xonar DGX's Dolby Headphone and Xonar DSX's DTS technologies were definitely superior surround methods compared to the Phoebus's new Dolby Home Theater v4 and Xear Surround. We liked being able to customize our sound stage by shifting virtual speaker or headphone positions. The Dolby Home Theater options simply did not give us the customization and control of our sound stage that we would have liked. The Xear Method was simply hit and miss. It seems that the people at Xear think, "Hollow equals surround."

I read that as the DSX and DGX have superior headphone virtualisation to the Phoebus. They go on to say:

Hard Review said:
In terms of sheer product value, we believe that the Xonar DGX and Xonar DSX are the two best buys available on the market today...

...You won’t get audiophile quality for these card's price, but you will get some excellent gaming on the cheap. We wholeheartedly recommend both the ASUS Xonar DGX and ASUS Xonar DSX; these sound cards are two of the best and easiest cards we have ever used given the price point.

That's a pretty damn glowing review in my opinion, especially as these cards are as cheap as chips these days. This review, along with a stack load of other similarly positive reviews is why I went for the DGX. Also, to be clear, I'm not unhappy with my DGX...I was just expecting something...more? No, not more just different. I am starting to think it's just in my head tbh.

FWIW, I too am using Astro A40s with my system. I hear very, very little static/hiss with the DGX, in terms of isolation it's spot on.

Last edited:
I actually just got a Sound Blaster Z to try over my Xonar D2X. Honestly, I'm not really sure the SBZ sounds better in anything other than games (and only because of the Surround features for headphones). The Xonar sounds way better in music to me.

Now that's interesting.

Which modes are you using on the respective cards for gaming? Looking at the specs, I think they both have the full compliment of Dolby and DTS encoders (inc. Dolby Headphone). What qualities would you say are making the SB-Z sound better in gaming?

Also, the D2X is a slightly more expensive card isn't it? It seems to be over here in the UK.

Would've considered the Z but so much empty PCB space and the full size would block at least one of the GPU cooling fans behind it.

get an audigy FX then :D

Playing some fear1/doom3/cryostasis these days, hostopenAL and ALchemy make them sound like freaking binaural recordings !

sbx surround is also a pefect replacement for x-fi headphone cmss3d, soundwhoring n00bs in l4d2 has never been easier :D

The Z series is an improvement in terms of gaming sound. It makes the game sound more like you are there than the asus. For music the cards do sound pretty similarI do not use any effects on my Z btw. Just stereo and headphones. I do use an external receiver as an amp. The Z can power headphones well enough but can sound a bit sharp and lacking a bit. Same for the asus. I have had a dg and dx1 in the past btw.

spaceman,

Are you saying you don't run any Headphone Virtualisation then? Just 2.0 and a set of cans? Do you just set your games to 2.0 (if the option is available)?

Obviously surround virtualisation is just that (i.e. faked surround) but in my experience it's decent enough...certainly on the Astro MixAmp (which I believe is Dolby Digital to Dolby Headphone). I just question how good the implementation on the DGX is...I'm not saying it's bad though. I don't really know what I'm saying, maybe I just want to spend some more money on a sound-card (overt the £30 I spent on the DGX) and maybe even a new set of cans!!!

Who knows...

Having said that, I have been playing Hotline Miami and some of the soundtrack (music) to that is pretty awesome, sounds great on my current system!!! Really pumping and very clear.

The best upgrade that you can get is a real pair of stereo headphones. The reason why I don't use surround is that I don't have to in order to get great directional sound. Sennheiser 558 is my favorite atm.

Do the A40s not count as "a real pair of stereo headphones" (brushing aside the fact they have a mic attached)?

Do the A40s not count as "a real pair of stereo headphones" (brushing aside the fact they have a mic attached)?

Not terrible but the open Senn 558s will sound much more realistic. The difference in game bw being inside a hall or outside in a jungle will sound much more pronounced. I prefer open headphones to closed back due to the increased sound stage size.

A40s are open...

The ones I listened to at Pax West were closed but I see the backs can come off now. Still, they are going to have a more pronounced bass response than the sennheisers and have less detail and sound stage too. Try a pair of the sennheisers or any audiotechnica headphone if you can. The difference is akin to watching a movie at home with the tv speakers vs going to a movie theater.

Hmmm...

You may be thinking of the A30s, they're closed IIRC. The A40s are open/the little covers are not sealed (there's an air-gap all the way around the edge).

Having said all that I have been eyeing up the HD598s or on the flipside (sticking to headsets) the PC363D which come with a USB sound-card too.

Hmmm...

That wasn't how I read it at all. If you're referring to the following:

I read that as the DSX and DGX have superior headphone virtualisation to the Phoebus. They go on to say:

We were heard vocals clearly, but occasionally the bass response sounded muddy or distorted.

The Xonar DGX sounded slightly hollow with this type of music, but a few, quick modifications to the EQ's low and high frequency sliders made the songs much more balanced.

The Xonar DGX was just mediocre in this genre.

The DSX gave more of a sterile, treble-filled character to our voice, while the DGX gave more of a warmer, bass-filled one.

I considered all that to be negatives.

As for virtualisation, on my onboard Realtek setup, and my old Auzentech Xplostion it always sounded wrong, weird or muffled. I'm pretty happy with left and right.

Back