XMP?

lt_wentoncha

Limp Gawd
Howdy all,

Drom what I understand, XMP is an Intel feature that allows for memory overclocking (unless I'm mistaken).

Is it a gimmick or is it worth getting sticks that are XMP-compatible (I really don't see a difference in pricing for G.Skill or Corsair sticks).

Thanks again.

The fastest official JEDEC speed suported by current processors and memory modules is 1333. Official JEDEC speeds are specified by SPD profiles.

Beyond that you are into the territory of overclocking the memory controller. XMP is a way for memory modules to specify settings beyond the official JEDEC speeds so that the user can just enable XMP rather than having to set everything manually.

XMPis gnerally an auto OC thing programmed into the memory modules. It often sets voltages far too high and can in some cases be detrimental to the life of your system.

I would set the speed and timings listed on the sticker on the modules in the BIOS and be done with it.

I'd rather manually input memory settings in the BIOS than use XMP settings. I got better all around results oCing my 2600k with manual settings, better cpu stabity also

xmp.. generally speaking is nothing but overclocked presettings.

it is defiantly not guaranteed to work, as it will depend on the individual motherboard you are using and the chips imc.

It will also depend if xmp was design for your platform.. i.e p67/z68 vs x58 or p55
i recommend manually configuring all the timings if you know how.. or at least the main five.. cl, tRCD, tRP, tRAS, and CR.

Back