XMP not showing in P8Z68V Pro BIOS

speedlever

Limp Gawd
BIOS 0902. Ram specs say XMP ready.

CPU-Z doesn't show XMP under spd:
CXNBD.png

Is this ram not XMP enabled?

CPU-Z detects the XMP profile in my G.Skill Snipers even though my board doesn't *really* support it. If I choose to use XMP in BIOS, it tells me it is going to run at 1600MHz per the XMP SPD, but since it is an H61, it really only ends up running at 1333MHz but with the reduced timings. I ended up just manually forcing 7-7-7-21 @ 1333 on my stuff.

@ OP...Did you set it in the bios? I know with gigabytes z68 boards you have to go in and set the profile under memory features or something xmp memory profile 1. I manually set my timing to 9-10-9-28 @ 1866 (stock) 1.5v

@duron...Is 7-7-7-21 your stock or do you have the same ram as i do (I have the sniper series too) b/c I have been contemplating stepping down my timing b/c @ 1333 it is better for an initial overclock IIRC.

Well I sort of answered my own question.

"Here are general guidelines to follow while "tweaking":

As with CPU/video card overclocking, adjusting the memory timings should be done methodically and with ample time to test each adjustment.
lower figures = better performance, but lower overclockability and possibly diminished stability.
higher figures = lesser performance, but increased overclockability and more stability -- to an extent
tRCD & tRP are usually equal numbers between 2 and 4. In tweaking for more overclockability, lower tRP first between these two
CAS should be either 2.0 or 2.5. Many systems, most nforce2, fail to boot with a 3.0 setting or have stability problems. CAS is not most critical of the various timings, unlike what is taught by many. In general, the importance of CAS when placed against tRP and tRCD is nominal. Reducing CAS has a relatively minor effect on memory performance, while lower tRP & tRCD values result in a much more substantial gain. In other words if you had to choose, 3-3-2.5 would be better than 4-4-2.0 (tRCD-tRP-CAS)
tRAS should always be larger the before mentioned timings. – see below"

Excerpt from a lovely writeup in the top of the memory section here.

Last edited:
Good question. I may very well have missed the profile option. I"ll have to take a look at the BIOS again.

Well for what its worth For me it is under one of the options in M.I.T. it says xmp and I had to enable Profile 1.

Does anyone know if there is any benefit to setting enabling xmp if you manually set the timings to what they are rated for??

@duron...Is 7-7-7-21 your stock or do you have the same ram as i do (I have the sniper series too) b/c I have been contemplating stepping down my timing b/c @ 1333 it is better for an initial overclock IIRC.

I have the 1600MHz Low-Voltage stuff (1.25v)

SPD profiles according to CPU-Z
JEDEC#1 622MHz 7-7-7-22-29 1.28V
JEDEC#2 711MHz 8-8-8-25-33 1.28V
JEDEC#3 800MHz 9-9-9-28-37 1.28V
XMP-1600 800MHz 9-9-9-25-40 2T 1.25V

I was wrong about 7-7-7-21. I just checked CPU-Z, and I'm actually running it at 7-7-7-22 1T. I'm giving it 1.35v because I don't have any option to go lower on my board (bottom of the barrel H61M-E33).. "auto" went to 1.5v.

I would imagine it probably would be just fine running -21 instead of -22 since I'm giving it a little more voltage than spec, but I'm not concerned as I can't see it being THAT important.

Regardless how it's set in BIOS, shouldn't CPU-Z still show XMP in the spd tab?

If I recall correctly It did not with my memory. But I could be mistaken. The speed and timings are different as well when it is not set to xmp in the bios.

I looked but didn't see where to set the profile. But I was doing other stuff so I didn't look too hard. Any hints where in BIOS this is found?

I will check in my bios for you (gigabyte) I know it is under the MIT section but i will look for you brb

Ok so...I am not sure If this will help you but in my gigabyte Bios under
MB Intelligent tweaker>Advanced Frequency settings>Extreme memory Profile (XMP) then you set it to Profile 1 or

MB Intelligent Tweaker>Advanced Memory Settings> Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) >Profile 1
Hope this helps

Thanks. I'll take another look in the BIOS and see if I see anything remotely similar.

Never did find anything in my Asus BIOS that seemed related. And honestly, I got sidetracked on another SB build I am just completing. But I did look.

I noticed in the specs my ram says XMP ready. Looking at some other G.Skill ram, I see it says XMP certified. Looks like that might be the difference, although I have no idea what XMP ready implies.

Back