Xmarks service ends January 2011

techie81

[H]ard for [H]ardware
Didnt see this posted but I just got this email:

Dear Xmarks User,

We've always said we won't email you unless it's important; this is one of those occasions:

Xmarks will be shutting down our free browser synchronization services on January 10, 2011. For details on how to transition to recommended alternatives, consult this page.

For the full story behind the Xmarks shutdown, please read our blog post.

Thank you for being a part of the Xmarks community; we apologize for any inconvenience this step may cause you. We believe we have the best users in the world, and we hope your bookmarks find a new and happy home soon.

Asynchronously,

— The Xmarks Team

I was disappointed to hear this. Xmarks was the only service (to my knowledge) that could sync between systems and different browsers. I have been suing it across FF, IF and Chrome and it has worked great. Now I have to figure something else out again.

Indeed this is a sad day. Xmarks was a great service. To bad they couldn't capitalize some with the project.
What alternatives do we have?

Firefox and Chrome have their own built in bookmark sync; not sure about IE9 (didn't keep the beta on my machine long enough to check).

Sad but oh well. I've always had problems with Xmarks in Chrome borking my bookmarks anyway; several times I've had it delete them completely and then sync with no bookmarks...luckily on the same machine I had a Firefox window open at the time with the right bookmarks so I could do a force upload and get them back.

Bummer......I really like the service.....especially after a clean format or when setting up a new system.

Poopy...
I hope some company with dough buys it, and keeps it going (without ruining anything).

I hope the BYOS isn't impacted by this or they open source it.

edit: In case anyone missed it: http://blog.xmarks.com/?p=1945

xmarks guy said:
we’re revisiting the idea of Xmarks as a premium service. We’ve set up a Pledgebank page where you can sign up if you’re willing to pay at least $10 a year for Xmarks. No credit card is required, but please only pledge if you are genuinely willing and able to pay:

www.pledgebank.com/XmarksPremium

Last edited by a moderator:
I was disappointed to hear this. Xmarks was the only service (to my knowledge) that could sync between systems and different browsers. I have been suing it across FF, IF and Chrome and it has worked great. Now I have to figure something else out again.
Try using Google Bookmarks in combination with browser-specific plug-ins. In Chrome, I use Add Google Bookmark.

Back