Xion Supernova 800W

drumr04

n00b
I'm going to build a new desktop soon since my current setup was built in 2008 and is starting to get slow in games.

I have a Xion SuperNova 800W PSU in my old PC and I was curious as to what the [H] collectives thought about reusing it in my new build. It still works just fine but I don't want an old, possibly weak PSU ruining my new parts.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Output: [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]+3.3@24A,+5V@30A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A,+ 12V4@20A,[email protected],[email protected] (Quad +12V combined wattage: 600W(50A))

I'd get a new PSU..one with either 1 single or 2 large 12v rails.
Just about any large GPU would make one of those trigger OCP..IF the PSU has that, even.
[/FONT]

get a new one, I haven't found any reviews from a decent site which has me a little worried. Why risk $$$ on mew hardware without getting a decent psu

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Output: [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]+3.3@24A,+5V@30A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A,+ 12V4@20A,[email protected],[email protected] (Quad +12V combined wattage: 600W(50A))

I'd get a new PSU..one with either 1 single or 2 large 12v rails.
Just about any large GPU would make one of those trigger OCP..IF the PSU has that, even.
[/FONT]

Read about how rails in PSUs work first before typing things in bold:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

As to that800W Xion PSU in the OP....from what I've read it never even was UL registered when new, which is a huge red flag.

I dug into a few reviews of that PSU from 2007, and discovered a few things about it:

1) It has no PFC. The lack of PFC (then as now) is a sign of an old or low-quality or (in this particular case) cheapened PSU design.

2) Its maximum combined +12V capacity is only 648W (54A) – about the same amount as in a decent 650W PSU. Good 800W PSUs have as much as 65A (780W) combined on the +12V rail(s).

3) The PSU was made by SuperFlower – but Xion cut corners when it designed it. SuperFlower simply followed Xion's cheapened design when it manufactured the PSU.

Last edited:
This is what I'm thinking about right now:
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/drumr04/saved/wC9tt6

I do some gaming at 1080p but not a lot of really demanding games. So I'm thinking that corsair would be a decent option.

What exactly will you be doing with the PC? If it's primarily gaming, then you should be looking at an Intel setup like the Core i3 4130 + B85 motherboard due to Intel's generally better gaming performance.

It's going to be a little bit of everything. My gaming is mostly World of Tanks and War Thunder. Since I will be reusing the case and storage drive I'm trying to keep it around $600-$700 so I figured AMD was the go to platform.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Read about how rails in PSUs work first before typing things in bold:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

As to that800W Xion PSU in the OP....from what I've read it never even was UL registered when new, which is a huge red flag.

I've been knowing about how PSU rails work for years.Exactly what led you to believe I needed to read that?

Hmm?

18a on a 12v rail ..any large GPU would need more power.
Any 6-core CPU overclocked would, too.

I've been knowing about how PSU rails work for years.Exactly what led you to believe I needed to read that?

Hmm?

18a on a 12v rail ..any large GPU would need more power.
Any 6-core CPU overclocked would, too.

Obviously.

Because unless your PSU is designed by complete morons...The power for a "large" GPU will be across 2 or moreof those 18A rails, by design. You're NOT going to pop an 800W PSU with a single large GPU due to individual rail limits....and if you do, then you're better off because it was a fire cracker designed by idiots.

If you read that JG link it explains it.

Back