Xing Mobility EV Batteries Use Liquid Immersion Cooling

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
While many companies pitch electric vehicles as efficient, eco friendly alternatives to gas powered cars, Taiwan's Xing Mobility is taking a different approach. In 2017, the company unveiled plans for a 1000 kilowatt (1341-hp) monster of an electric car, and claimed their prototype would be able to reach 200 km/h from a standstill in just 5.1 seconds. In order to reach those insane figures, the company wants to use the same technique 3M showed off in a demo yesterday: liquid immersion cooling. On Xing Mobility's website, they claim the "extreme" battery pack is already good for 1126hp when submersed in 3M Novec fluid, and the video they just released suggests that it significantly increases durability.

Check out the video here.

New Atlas's older article mentions that Xing Mobility hopes to sell the the 1-megawatt electric supercar sometime in 2019. The company's latest news blurb claims they've already road tested a prototype, and are also working on a commercial truck that incorporates some of the same technology.

I love it when companies claim worlds first but all they have is a shoddy CG render to show off.

Quite late to the party, Concept_One already had liquid battery cooling 5 yrs ago when we were producing them.

Last edited:
On a side note, outside of a little extra weight, why not use the standard pump radiator anti-freeze model of the combustion engine?

edit: obviously for a "super-car" squeezing every last little bit out possible is the goal, but just in general, if cooling the batteries has a beneficial effect, why not go that route? I don't know anything about the subject so I'm honestly asking here.

A lot of problems there to solve. No need for such approach for a mass produced veichle - too much complexity = too high of a price.

Does anybody know what the freezing point of Novec is? This could be a real non-starter in colder climates if it doesn't have a very low freezing point.

Does anybody know what the freezing point of Novec is? This could be a real non-starter in colder climates if it doesn't have a very low freezing point.

No clue which one they are using, but the lowest pour point on the few I looked at as -38 C while most were in the -100 C range.

As a guess, since it's pour point and not freezing point, it turns into a sludge or gel at those temps rather than freezing solid.

Here are the full specs on all the Novec fluid types
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company...1017+8717595+8734647+8745514+3294857497&rt=r3

Back