Xim4 for sale on the 28th, $124.99

Shadowspawn

[H]ard|Gawd
Sorry, no link - Google is your friend. I am at work and their site is blocked. I read about it on their forums this morning. They claim a much larger production run on this one. Apparently the Xim3 sold out in less than three minutes. This will be my first attempt to purchase one.

For me, it will be 2:30 AM when this sale starts. Fortunately, I am off that day so I can sleep in.

I'm definitely in for one, I guess they will get 5 digit quantities of this for the 28th I have read, hopefully won't be to tough to get one on release day.

Surprised this still exists? Has Sony or Microsoft not done anything in regards to these controls? Doesn't it provide a ridiculous advantage in some games?

Surprised this still exists? Has Sony or Microsoft not done anything in regards to these controls? Doesn't it provide a ridiculous advantage in some games?

Honestly I sort of agree with you here. I don't see this any different than the modded controllers that had turbo-esque functions on the Xbox 360 (which I believe caused bans). I don't have any problem with this KB/M adapter being used in single player games or modes, but it really does give an unfair advantage in multiplayer where 99% of the community will be using regular controllers. All it would take is one individual who has this mod to ruin the fun in a multiplayer match by completely annihilating due to controller input and not actual skill.

There is still a stigma that developers believe when it comes to controls. That it would somehow be unfair to pit controller users against Kb+M users. I think there are enough people on PC who play with controllers that proves the experience isn't enough to change game dynamics (unless there is ridiculous auto-aim that gives controller users an advantage like Titanfall...). Personally, I can't parkour effectively with a controller in Titanfall, so I think it still comes out in a wash in that case between controller and Kb+M.

I'm in for one :D.

How do these things handle low sensitivity?

Like 20in / 360 low.

It is not a ridiculous advantage, it allows the user their choice of preferred input device. I am older, I was brought up with kb and mouse for fps games. I have tried many times to play fps games on a controller and I just can't do it, I am absolutely terrible so I prefer what I am used to and that is kb/mouse.. its that or never play fps on console for me. I still only end up in the middle of the field, I am not even that great with a kb/mouse anymore, not like 20 years ago, back then I was very good. :) Take someone who was brought up with fps on a console and give them a kb/mouse, are they going to be better? Does this give them an advantage to the other 99 percent? Get my point?

a mouse can be a pretty fucking gigantic advantage over a controller.

the potential for fast, accurate aim is stratospherically higher

a mouse can be a pretty fucking gigantic advantage over a controller.

the potential for fast, accurate aim is stratospherically higher

You can be exactly as fast with a controller, Its whatever you are more comfortable with and used to using, the xim does not change the way the game aims, it is still using the same control (like you get with the controller stick) just allowing you to move a mouse around instead of the stick where you want to aim. Its translating the mouse movement as if it were a controller stick.

You can be exactly as fast with a controller, Its whatever you are more comfortable with and used to using, the xim does not change the way the game aims, it is still using the same control (like you get with the controller stick) just allowing you to move a mouse around instead of the stick where you want to aim. Its translating the mouse movement as if it were a controller stick.

After watching professional tournaments of both Halo (360) and Counter-Strike (PC) with highly skilled players; I can confidently tell you that the amount of precise accuracy achieved with KB/M in Counter-Strike trumps what I have seen done with a controller in Halo matches. I can also personally attest to this as I have been playing games on both PC and consoles for over 15 years; and my aim using KB/M is unsurpassed compared to a controller. Introducing a KB/M input into a controller dominated (and engineered) scene would cause an unfair advantage. I, personally, hope there will be detection of this mod and that it won't be allowed in multiplayer games/modes.

After watching professional tournaments of both Halo (360) and Counter-Strike (PC) with highly skilled players; I can confidently tell you that the amount of precise accuracy achieved with KB/M in Counter-Strike trumps what I have seen done with a controller in Halo matches.

And there lies your faulty comparison, you can't compare a PC game made for kb/mouse to a console game made for a controller. You can only compare a console game made for a controller then use a kb/mouse and a controller to compare to each other. As I said, the game is designed to be used with a controller and the mouse just emulates those movements of the controller stick.

I, personally, hope there will be detection of this mod and that it won't be allowed in multiplayer games/modes.

and you will likely be hoping against hope. X.I.Ms have been around for several years and are registered by the console they are used with as an ordinary controller. Unless they can start to detect people using one by some other means the chances of this being something they can ban users for is slim to none.

And there lies your faulty comparison, you can't compare a PC game made for kb/mouse to a console game made for a controller. You can only compare a console game made for a controller then use a kb/mouse and a controller to compare to each other. As I said, the game is designed to be used with a controller and the mouse just emulates those movements of the controller stick.
This is what a lot of people are missing with these mods. The game is still only programmed to accept joystick input. All the XIM does is convert mouse movement to joystick angle on the upstream. Using a XIM in a console game will not give as precise control as a PC game designed to accept mouse input. The XIM is using some type of exponential formula built into the hardware to try and give the more direct input a mouse provides based on the distance and speed the mouse is moved. One thing you don't get with the XIM is the ability to instantly turn around like if you were playing a game designed for mouse input. The settings do allow you to multiply the sensitivity, but you sacrifice finer control for turn speed at that point.

Back