Xigmatek XI Bay 3 (card/2.5" HDD reader) $7.86

It is only USB 2.0 though. I 'm guessing that is why it is so cheap.

Now if the SATA port was actually SATA, and the card reader was at least USB 3.0, that would be an awesome little product.

Says USB 3.0 on the box. Anyone know exactly what kind of connection it has?

Says USB 3.0 on the box. Anyone know exactly what kind of connection it has?

This is from Xigmatek's page:

"
Product Name

Xi-Bay3
Product Number CCO-UCOFSP-U03
Material Metal, plastic
Slot 5 (one 2.5” SATA to USB2.0)
Connection type USB2.0 / USB3.0
"

Sounds to me like it is USB 2.0, but will "work" on USB 3.0.

The packaging says "USB 3.0 compliant" It doesn't say anything about it actually being able to do USB 3.0 speeds.

Edit: Just found good pics on Newegg. The bay itself says USB 3.0, and the cable is a USB 3.0 cable.

However, it looks like you have to run the cable through the back of your computer and into a USB port unless you have an internal USB 3.0 port.

XIGMATEK Xi-Bay 3 USB2.0 / USB3.0 3 Multi-Memory Card Reader with 25" HDD docking station - Newegg.com

Looks like it uses a USB 3.0 cable for the sata drive and a USB 2.0 header for the card readers, also a molex connector for power.

xigmatek-xi-bay3-internal-card-reader-usb-30-black-zucr-060-54278-3.jpg

Oooh, an even better pic.

So is the card reader USB 3.0.. or is the SATA dock USB 3.0?

The specs on the Xigmatek site say that the SATA is USB 2.0.

Seems like a really strange thing to do either way as both HDDs and memory cards can easily saturate USB 2.0.

There is absolutely no documentation available from Xigmatek, and I could not find a single review of this thing.

Found more specs

Connectors on the motherboard:
1x USB 3.0 (external)
1x USB 2.0 (internal)
1x SATA power connector

However, it looks like you have to run the cable through the back of your computer and into a USB port unless you have an internal USB 3.0 port.

Seems you are correct.

Found more specs

Connectors on the motherboard:
1x USB 3.0 (external)
1x USB 2.0 (internal)
1x SATA power connector

Seems you are correct.

Nice.. and that site doesn't even know the difference between a SATA and MOLEX power connector.

They do state that the SATA is USB 3.0 and the card reader is USB 2.0.. but who knows if that is correct either.

Nice.. and that site doesn't even know the difference between a SATA and MOLEX power connector.

They do state that the SATA is USB 3.0 and the card reader is USB 2.0.. but who knows if that is correct either.

Someone needs to bite so we can know about this thing for sure! I'm thinking about it. I just have no need ever since I got my external HDD case.

Back