Xigmatek HDT-S1283

When I saw the initial pictures of this 4 pipe version, I couldn't see how they were going to pull off a better heatsink considering that with the 3 pipe version, every pipe comes in full contact with the heatspreader (at least on Intel procs). The staggering wouldn't do anything given the spacing between pipes. Sure enough, the review shows which pipes come in full contact with the heatspreader and which only get half. I'd rather have 3 in full contact where it counts over two. :\ Reduce the spacing between pipes on this 4 pipe version and maybe the outcome would be different.

Hopefully the 3 pipe version will remain in one form or another.

would i be able to use the bolt thru mounting and screws that came with my ultra 120 and ultima 90 for this hs? i have mounted it with the push pins and dont like this. it actually bows my mb behind the socket.

Does anybody else think this company lacks urinalysis testing for the people that worked on the 1284? Why would the updated version not cool AT LEAST as well as the old? I had high hopes for this model, but now I can't help but to think that these guys are idiots. Perhaps someone will enlighten me on whatever it is that I am missing here. Why would anybody pay for this version for any other reason that it looks "cooler", because it damn sure isn't thermal wise.

Easy, look at how many people were excited about it because it had FOUR PIPES! :) So that auto magically makes it one pipe better than the the 1283 (even though the 1283 has almost prefect coverage of the IHS with three pipes). People just assume more will be better because it more. Its all in the marketability, not every one spends a lot of time digging through reviews.

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/lgbowiscsp.html

That's the one I purchased, hopefully it works when it finally arrives.

On another note, has anyone attempted to remove the fan from the heatsink after installation? When my bolt kits arrived I'll be replacing those shoddy push-pins, and the fan looks like it'd make installation a pain.

You need to take the fan off anyway to install the brace. You can push the fan to one side, then grabs the rubber knobs in the fins with some tiny pliers and pull them out. It feels like you are going to rip the rubber but I managed to do it twice so far.

it was a PAIN IN THE ASS to remove the rubber fan things, but in a few minuted and some cuts later i manages to get them off. i got the kit because i didn't like the way the push pins held all the weight.

i am going to get this baby : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185054
i wanted a little more support :)

since my armor case does a good job eliminating noise i am not really picky about it.
the stock fan that comes with the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is really quiet though.

After reading through this thread and reading lots of reviews i decieded to get one of these as my artic freezer 7 pro could let things get a bit warm for my liking. It just fits in my case, which was a god send, and thanks to an earlier post installing the fan etc was a breeze.
It has lowered my temps but ive yet to do a nice long stress test to see how much lower it really is, but one thing i did have happen was a loud buzz during post, along with the usual single beep, turns out it is the cpu fan failure monitor in the bios telling me i have a fan failure, as the fan doesnt spin straight away at boot up, but as soon as the fan does start to spin the noise dissapears, with no ill effects once in windows. This option needs to be diabled in the bios to avoid getting the noise if you cant put up with it.

heres a pic

DSCN1799.jpg

and after a half hour run of orthos im getting 53 celcius max on e8400'3.8 Ghz

screenshot.jpg

I have ordered this Heatsink, and am now just waiting for the bolt kit to be sent to me.
I'm using the Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo CPU. Arctic Silver 5
I wanted to know if I will be needing to put a small line of thermal paste on my cpu after cleaning it. & also do I have to add some to the heatsink? just a line, or spread it around.

I am using the Antec 900 case and will be mounting the heatsink with the fan on the bottom blowing up towards my top case fan "due to my side case fan preventing me from installing the heatsink the normal way.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf
says to put a line on the cpu which going off the notches would be a horizontal line across left to right.

attachment.php

this line method on the heatink would line up perfectly to the line method on the cpu if I was installing the heatsink the normal way, fan on right side blowing towards the back of the case.

So, if I did both of these methods, there would be a + "cross" of a thermal paste.

Should I do the line method on the cpu "which seems to be more important for the cores" and call it good for the heatsink? Or do I want the paste going across the 3 copper pipes? or use a small amount on the heatsink and spread it around evenly.

Anyone who has ordered this, make sure to email xigmatek support for a free bolt on kit. You send your invoice and upc code. Saves you from having to purchase the thermalright kit

They should just be including them, people who don't wanna remove their motherboards to put the backplate on, can use the push-pins... those who want real mounting can use the kit.

If they're already giving them away, it'll save them money in shipping just to include it in the box to beginwith. D=

They should just be including them, people who don't wanna remove their motherboards to put the backplate on, can use the push-pins... those who want real mounting can use the kit.

If they're already giving them away, it'll save them money in shipping just to include it in the box to beginwith. D=
they are going to update the packages in June I think to include the bolt on kit. But in the meantime they are sending out free kits to those who have purchased

I can not get the link to pull up, however I believe I am using the hdt method from that article. I filled in the gaps and scraped off the excess, then I put tiny strips down the block between the pipes. I did a few test fits and the method seems to work great.

friend of mine is currently buidling a pc and since he has to do it piece-meal, I suggested that we fire it up to make sure the m/b posts and what not- if he waits too long and something is defective he won't be able to retrun to The Egg. Anyways to make a long story short, he has the 3 pipe Xigmatek (not sure of model #) and after about an hour the cpu temp in BIOS settled to 21C. Not overly sure how accurate it is but DAYUM!

friend of mine is currently buidling a pc and since he has to do it piece-meal, I suggested that we fire it up to make sure the m/b posts and what not- if he waits too long and something is defective he won't be able to retrun to The Egg. Anyways to make a long story short, he has the 3 pipe Xigmatek (not sure of model #) and after about an hour the cpu temp in BIOS settled to 21C. Not overly sure how accurate it is but DAYUM!

well that is below (or right at) ambient temp in most places, so he is probably just getting a bad reading due to various software/hardware conflicts and confusion. are you using speedfan? because that can be like 15C off in some configs.

I have one of these cooling my Q6600 G0, and it is great. The only exception is the damn push pins. I bent two of the points. What a piece of shit method to mount such a great cooler. I am going to order me a bolt kit, thanks for the heads up.

well that is below (or right at) ambient temp in most places, so he is probably just getting a bad reading due to various software/hardware conflicts and confusion. are you using speedfan? because that can be like 15C off in some configs.

no, this was in his BIOS. He doesn't have a HD yet, so no software at all.

Dear Xigmatek users,

Due to the current high demand of our FREE Giveaway— Intel Socket 775 Bolt-Thru-Kit, we are experiencing shortages for this item. There will be new shipments of the Bolt-Thru-kits arriving soon. ( estimated time of arrival to the U.S. will be around 03/20/08) The new shipment has arrive and Xigmatek is giving it away while it last !

More so, the complete retail packages of Bolt-Thru-Kit including backplate screws & springs mountings will be available in May.

This offer only applies to purchases made between January 01, 2008 and February 29, 2008. You must provide Xigmatek with ::

1. A clean, clear copy of the dated receipts of the purchase of your Xigmatek product. Eligible part number must be clearly listed on the invoice.
2. The original UPC Barcode from the package.

Please hurry while supplies last !!

Please send all requested information (ITEMS 1-2) to:

Xigmatek
17837 Rowland Street
City of Industry, CA 91748

TEL : 626-839-6800

Even though it says Jan-Feb they will still send you a bolt kit no matter when you bought them, it's just a matter of how many they still have in stock.

* I sent away for mine last week, be sure to call them at least a few days after you mailed them your UPC and receipt. Dan "who's in charge of this" said he gets a few hundred letters a day, and processing takes a while. He managed to get my info on the phone and look for my envelope to get processed faster. He told me it takes a couple weeks to get processed and a couple weeks to be mailed! Got some e-mail saying that my $20 rebate will be mailed on July 14th. I didn't mail away for any rebate, but maybe thats what they listed it as for the bolt kit... anyways... sure it's free and it's nice of them, but I'm not going to be able to use my heatsink for a good month or two. Should of just paid the 10 bucks for the bolt kit from somewhere else. *

oh man didnt know they were giving away free mount kits... i just ordered a TR 775 bolt yesterday...oh well doesnt hurt to have two kits...

I just got the 1283 to cool a AMD 5000 BE, what is concerning me is that the portion of the heatsink that is in contact with the processor does not cover all of the processor surface, is this correct and will it function ok like this?

I'm getting parts in but am still a couple weeks from final assembly. This will be perfect for me.

Got my bolt kit today, I would have to say the trickiest part of the installation was getting those damn anti-vibration pins into the fan and lining them up equaling onto the heatsink.
I am so far very happy with the results, under stress I'm getting the same temps as I did on idle with the stock heatsink for the E8400 Core 2 Duo. Cores now idle at 32*C with case temps of 23*C
A good 12* drop so far, I am using Arctic Silver 5 & they claim that another 2* should drop after a certain amount of burn in time.

Got my bolt kit today, I would have to say the trickiest part of the installation was getting those damn anti-vibration pins into the fan and lining them up equaling onto the heatsink.
I am so far very happy with the results, under stress I'm getting the same temps as I did on idle with the stock heatsink for the E8400 Core 2 Duo. Cores now idle at 32*C with case temps of 23*C
A good 12* drop so far, I am using Arctic Silver 5 & they claim that another 2* should drop after a certain amount of burn in time.

You can soak the anti vibration pins in a mix of water and dish detergent, it lubes them up a bit and makes them much easier to pull into the fan :cool:

I just swapped a Zalman 9500 for the 1283 and it dropped my temps by 5c all around the board plus the system temps is lower also in a P-180B case with a E8400 cpu love the cooler so far and i moded the Zalman mounting hardware to get the other cooler to work and its great lots of down pressure. The surface of the heat sink was off and I had to lap it also lapped the cpu to make sure got the best possible contact and of course used AS5

Great heatsink!
q6600 @ 3.2ghz
1.275vcore
max temp: 45c
mx-2 paste
Mounted horizontally gives me really close temps between all 4 cores, 1-3c differences.

Can I use OCZ Freeze with this cooler? I heard that some TIM's could be harmful to copper heat pipes.

You can use aluminum and carbon (both grey) based TIM's such as OCZ Freeze without any problems with copper oxidation. It's the white pastes you need to avoid for copper. See this guide for more details.

Great! Thanks!

The Xigmatek 1283 plus OCZ Freeze should go nicely with my Q6600. Hopefully it stays nice and cool(for a quad that is).

Do any of you know if the newegg listing of this Xigmatek HDT-S1283 comes with the bolt-thru kit? Someone here mentioned they will be including it in June..?

Do any of you know if the newegg listing of this Xigmatek HDT-S1283 comes with the bolt-thru kit? Someone here mentioned they will be including it in June..?

I got an HDT-S1283 in the mail today from newegg and it didn't come with a bolt through kit.

Back