Xigmatek HDT-S1283 - Do I need a backplate?

Jared701

[H]ard|Gawd
I have received all my parts to put together my new system P5Q-E Q9550 etc. except for my backplate for the motherboard. Is it ok to put together the system for a few days just using the pins with no backplate on this cooler? I've read that it does not actually need the backplate but have also read that you really do need it. I know if I install it this way I'll have to rip out the motherboard when the backplate comes to install it but really want to test my new setup. Is it difficult to remove the pushpins once they are installed?

It won't hurt anything, but it depends on how much work you want to do. If you assemble everything now, you'll have to remove the video card, unplug all the cables, remove the heatsink, remove the motherboard, change out the clips for the backplate mounts, and put everything back.

For a few days? Absolutely, not a problem. Performance with the push-pins is still very good.

So long as you don't mind the extra work (mentioned above) a few days from now ... yeah, I'd say you're fine.

Awesome... I know it's way too much work for a few days but I'm too anxious to test this out and don't have a final til Wednesday so going to try this tonight. Thanks guys.

Back