XHD3000 dropping like flies, need new recommendation

Frraksurred

2[H]4U
Some of you have already seen my setup, but for those who haven't:

rigweb.jpg

I purchased three of these screens during their first 8 months of production. I have had two die on me so far. I won't rehash how pathetic Gateway has treated it's customers regarding the mass failures of these screens, except to say they have abandoned them altogether. But I will say I will never purchase a Gateway product again... ever.

Since the repair options for these screens are so sparse with mixed results I've decided to cut my loses and look at replacements. Not an option I'm too fond of, but I've little choice. So far I'm leaning towards the Dell 3008WFP, but I'm open to feedback. My only stipulations are decent warranty, built-in scaler and Display Port input (for Eyefinity). I also like that the WFP has two DVI inputs, this opens up some options for me, but it is not a "must have" feature.

I'm just a blue collar worker, so obviously price is a consideration also, but I don't mind saving for how ever long it takes to get a reliable panel that will perform well with the features I want.

With that, what are your thoughts on the best 30" monitor (2560x1600) out there for gaming today?

Damn, that blows, Frrak! I've always loved your setup, but those Gateways were ticking time bombs, IMO. I'd check the Dell U2711 before buying a 3008, though absolutely love mine. HP has a new 30" that looks pretty good, too. There are a few threads on it. Definitely post new pics when you're all done. :)

EDIT: I just noticed you want a scalar. I don't believe the HP has one. :(

Last edited:
Have you considered the LG W3000H?

Amazing 30" monitor, great price. Personally I love mine.

This said, it does NOT have a built-in scaler, but why do you want one anyway? The graphics card should take care of that for you. Also, hardware scalers add video lag.

Sorry to hear man :( Pretty much every single person that bought one of these has had failures , pretty sad.

The new HP ZR30w , recent review of it made it seem like the best one you can buy for input latency in the 30 inch category. Here is a great review : http://www.anandtech.com/show/3754/a-new-30-contender-hp-zr30w-review

The Dell 3008 model is also nice and tons more inputs and good internal pixel mapper but its input latency is much higher so it depends on how important response time is for you , for twitch gaming that is. If you hook up consoles to you're displays than the Dell is the best option.

Damn, that blows, Frrak! I've always loved your setup, but those Gateways were ticking time bombs, IMO.

I loved my setup too, lol.
army2.gif
Ah well, thanks for the compliment and suggestion.

Have you considered the LG W3000H?

I have, but there's the scalar and my personal bias against LG. The monitor is probably fine, but I sold LG HDTV's for a short time and was not impressed with them. Last I knew LG's 30" used the same panel as the XHD3000. If I have to spend money again I'd prefer to upgrade to a wider gamut I think. Appreciate the suggestion all the same.

Sorry to hear man :( Pretty much every single person that bought one of these has had failures , pretty sad.

The new HP ZR30w , recent review of it made it seem like the best one you can buy for input latency in the 30 inch category. Here is a great review : http://www.anandtech.com/show/3754/a-new-30-contender-hp-zr30w-review

The Dell 3008 model is also nice and tons more inputs and good internal pixel mapper but its input latency is much higher so it depends on how important response time is for you , for twitch gaming that is. If you hook up consoles to you're displays than the Dell is the best option.

Good info, thank you. I'll look into both matters, especially the input lag. Most my gaming is FPS. Much appreciated.

it's a shame that those monitors fail within or after the 1st year.. they looked nice too

I can't tell you how pleased I am with my 3008WFP. Great IQ, tons of inputs, and I am not bothered by the input lag at all. I went directly from the 3007WFP-HC (no scaler, minimal lag) to the 3008WFP and I don't feel that my game performance suffered at all. Now the 3007WFP-HC sits in the floor until I can get a bigger desk. If the input lag was that bad on the 3008, I'd just go back to the 3007 since I'm only using the DVI input right now...people make it out to seem way worse than it is IMO.

Not sure about that HP, but it looks good too. And of course the NEC 30" displays, but they tend to command a premium (sometimes a hefty one).

I can't tell you how pleased I am with my 3008WFP. Great IQ, tons of inputs, and I am not bothered by the input lag at all. I went directly from the 3007WFP-HC (no scaler, minimal lag) to the 3008WFP and I don't feel that my game performance suffered at all. Now the 3007WFP-HC sits in the floor until I can get a bigger desk. If the input lag was that bad on the 3008, I'd just go back to the 3007 since I'm only using the DVI input right now...people make it out to seem way worse than it is IMO.

Not sure about that HP, but it looks good too. And of course the NEC 30" displays, but they tend to command a premium (sometimes a hefty one).

I was hoping to hear from some one with experience with the 3008, thank you! This is still my primary choice so far. NEC would be nice, but since I will probably be replacing three monitors, price is a factor.

Hey Frraksurred,

The Samsung 305T and XHD3000 share the same panel, not the LG W3000H.

Regardless, my only dislike of the 3008WFP is the fact that it has 8 inputs so you are pressing the "source" button a lot. But I have two PCs and two consoles connected to it.

Otherwise it's a great screen, and will likely have LESS input lag than the Realta based XHD3000. I've had mine for nearly a year now, and I love it. I do game on it a lot, and have zero issues.

The only notable difference is that it IS wide gamut so colors will be a bit more powerful than the XHD3000's standard sRGB gamut screens.

Pros:

1) IPS panel with great color uniformity across the screen. My white point does not shift more than 100 kelvin from left to right. Basically you would see ZERO tinting issues common with eIPS panels lately.

2) Great scaling. Consoles running at 720p and 1080p are scaled up 100% perfectly. It even can do overscan if you need it. This is where it cuts off the sides a bit and zooms the image slightly to remove any TV signal noise top and bottom. I leave it off.

3) Tonnes of inputs. Dual DVI, DisplayPort, HDMI, Composite, component, VGA, S-Video, etc... All work precisely as advertised.

Cons:

1) Slightly expensive. I bought mine for 1200 Canadian on a one-day deal. Keep lurking the hot deals sites to see what you can do here.

2) Stand is a bit limited in vertical adjustment

3) Aforementioned constant hitting of the "source" button. This is probably an issue with most Dell screens these days

Hope that helps.

I also have the 3008WFP. Got it through a refurb seller on ebay. Note: There are a few threads about this guy in this forum. He was selling for around $850 with a 2 year warranty. I really like mine. Also had a 3007WFP-HC for a little while and am please with my choice to stick with the 3008WFP. Heaps of inputs, great picture (although i am no expert) and i notice no discernible lag whilst playing FPS. Highly recommended.

Good looking display.

Back