XGL is tight...

Jason711

Supreme [H]ardness
actually got it working perfectly on the first try thanks to a sweet howto.. anybody else use this?

link to the tutorial :D

I have used it in the past, and yea, it is damn cool -- I'm a recent OSX convert though, so I barely use my Ubuntu machine anymore :p

its bult in, and i tried that... it tells me /mnt/windows/ does not exist..

when it does. :confused:

XGL is very nice, but I myself prefer AIGLX or running beryl/compiz without either. There is less memory usage. Also video playback is a bitch, I had it working perfectly but it used 60% of one of my cores, in XGL. I believe XGL still has no xinerama support, there is a patch, and I know it was used in quinns releases.

But it is really nice.

Btw you can safely now read and write to ntfs, using ntfs-3g. If any of you guys use ubuntu then, there is a great how to.

Jason711 said:
its bult in, and i tried that... it tells me /mnt/windows/ does not exist..

when it does. :confused:

Make sure you are root or using sudo and try chmod'ing /mnt/windows to 0777.

Example,
Code:
su
<password>
mkdir /mnt/windows
chmod 0777 /mnt/windows
mount -t ntfs <partition> /mnt/windows

As I Lay Dying said:
I believe XGL still has no xinerama support, there is a patch, and I know it was used in quinns releases.
I was able to get Xgl working with TwinView without problems a few weeks back.

I managed to get beryl working on the first try... It seems that it needs to be polished a little bit, but so far it works pretty good.

Now if we can get Gnomes theme manager integrated with beryls theme manager, and have all the control objects be able to change individually...............

You know kind of liike an all in one theme editor (not just theme changer as it is now) that combines Gnome, and Beryl themes into a single application.

jimmyb said:
I was able to get Xgl working with TwinView without problems a few weeks back.
which version of xgl were you using from freedesktop, or from a repo based off quinns build, quinns builds has used the xinerama patch for several months.

Xgl 7.0.0 from the xgl.compiz.info ubuntu repository. I believe it is a version pulled out of the cvs and packaged.

It worked with no problems with twinview after installing with apt.

jimmyb said:
Xgl 7.0.0 from the xgl.compiz.info ubuntu repository. I believe it is a version pulled out of the cvs and packaged.

It worked with no problems with twinview after installing with apt.

hmm.... I believe thats a mirror for quinns compiz, just by looking at the packages, on it, such as cgwd. ....

Jason711 said:
actually got it working perfectly on the first try thanks to a sweet howto.. anybody else use this?

JASON!! i feel you mann i just saw a demo and i took a shhhiat in my pants! i had to create a thread too

http://knowledge76.com/index.php/XGL/Compiz_Nvidia_32bit#Introduction

but im still trying to figure things out

what do you have for your hardware? im afraid that i wont have sufficient power to run xgl.

im running a pentium m 1.7ghz centrino, with 1gb of ram and 5200fx help me pleeeease!!!

I installed it today on my laptop, then disabled it. It's way too slow on the x200 integrated graphics (yeah, acceleration was/is working). It was surprising because Aero runs fine on the same laptop.

pxc said:
I installed it today on my laptop, then disabled it. It's way too slow on the x200 integrated graphics (yeah, acceleration was/is working). It was surprising because Aero runs fine on the same laptop.

I have it running just fine on a 6100 integrated nvidia board. It's prolly ATi's craptastic drivers.

oh by the way, nvidia finally has it's own indirect composite extextion in place. Seems to work a little slower then XGL, but it works just fine anyway.

I tested in Compiz, and Beryl. Both work with nVidia's composite extension. Now I'm just waiting for Metacity's composite manager, libcm, to mature, then I'll try it as well.

I dunno if its slower but I think its got its perks, video isn't accelerated, so that means that I am not running my dual core at 60% at watching a movie at 1600x1200, and less ram is being used as well.

just installed beryl/xgl for ubuntu...

acting sorta funny... will have to post the error message when i get home. but for a while the windows were doing some really odd stuff.

actually if you use the svn version of beryl, you can use keyboard input in zoom and scale now, and there is the fire effect in the animation plugin. the fire effect is amazing.

SubVersioN.

Alot of projects are transitioning away from CVS to Subversion, becouse it offers quite a bit of functionality that CVS doesnt have, or doesnt support well enough.

any particular repository? how do i uninstall my current beryl, or will it take care of that?

Tell you the truth I'm not quite sure. I use Gentoo. In this system I use layman to sync with xgl-portage repository, and it has everything right there from beryl to everything else, then I can just emerge like normal.

I would think however that if you used the authors repository, then it would just be a matter of moving to the directory, and typing in ./configure && make && make install. However I would read up on that first becouse I really dont know.

Shit, I keep forgetting about this now...I finally snagged a GF 7300GS so I could run DVI to my LCD (915resolution didn't work well for me, shrug). Think it has the horsepower to run XGL? (Rig in sig).

OC_LeGeND said:
would XGL work for knoppix or is it just a Suse thing

umm I believe there are packages for ubuntu, debian, suse, fedora, arch, I am sure there is for knoppix.

on a side note xgl doesnt really do any of the effect a composting manager like compiz and beryl do all the eye candy xgl just allows for hardware acceleration.

Btw anyone here use beryl with the burn effect for the animation plugin, holy crap its hot.....the animation plugin alone is eff'n amazing.

Couldn't find any FC5 packages, and compiz is being a PITA to compile from source :(

Mesa and Cairo glitz went ok though. /me will poke at it later tonight

I'd love to install XGL on my Linux box, but unfortunately that's out of the question, considering the specs of the system. :D It looks cool though, and should I get another computer anytime soon, and can replace my current Linux machine, I will install it on there.

Jerome36 said:
I'd love to install XGL on my Linux box, but unfortunately that's out of the question, considering the specs of the system. :D It looks cool though, and should I get another computer anytime soon, and can replace my current Linux machine, I will install it on there.

whats the specs I have it running on a p4 1.4 with 256 MB of ram on a fx5600.

As I Lay Dying said:
whats the specs I have it running on a p4 1.4 with 256 MB of ram on a fx5600.

Well... The specs are as follows:

350mhz Pentium 2
192mb RAM
16mb TNT2 graphics card

As you can see XGL ain't happening :D My Linux box is basically my webserver, and occasionally used for internet, e-mail, and chatting on instant messenger, when my wife is on the main machine.

Holy necro batman!

I've managed to turn my old FC5 install into some kind of twisted FC5/FC6 hybrid (updated Xorg 7.11, running the latest FC6 kernel, etc.). In the line of yum updating a bunch of packages to install beryl, it basically updated my entire system as I forced it to use the FC6 repos...

Anyways! I have Beryl "installed", and it starts (beryl in systray appears)...only problem is, well...I don't notice it. My window decorations disappear (no titlebars) and the UI is just generally...borked.

I'm using nVIDIA's AIGLX, because from what I've managed to understand, having a nvidia card = very simple AIGLX usage as opposed to installing XGL or something.

don't have the BErly-manager running as of yet

open a prompt and start it (beryl-manager) it will spit out any errors

did u edit yr xorg? and also u sure the Xorg that u r using has been compiled with Aiglx (it prob isnt)

movax said:
Holy necro batman!

I've managed to turn my old FC5 install into some kind of twisted FC5/FC6 hybrid (updated Xorg 7.11, running the latest FC6 kernel, etc.). In the line of yum updating a bunch of packages to install beryl, it basically updated my entire system as I forced it to use the FC6 repos...

Anyways! I have Beryl "installed", and it starts (beryl in systray appears)...only problem is, well...I don't notice it. My window decorations disappear (no titlebars) and the UI is just generally...borked.

I'm using nVIDIA's AIGLX, because from what I've managed to understand, having a nvidia card = very simple AIGLX usage as opposed to installing XGL or something.

Yeah i had the same problem second time I installed, just make sure you run beryl-manager on startup. I do love beryl, its made my desktop use MUCH more productive. Now if only my wireless would work i would use it all the time. This is on the Acer Ferrari 4005 for any of you wondering

Back