XGI Tech Volari V3XT

FraGGleR

Limp Gawd
Has anyone had any personal experience with this card yet? I read a couple review that sound really good for a HTPC. Passively cooled, native HDTV support, supposedly great image quality, all for right around $50. Just wanted to know about personal observations before ordering one.

I am also tempted by the new ati x200 or whatever chipset for socket 939 processors. Those are probably too new for any personal experience yet, but if you have heard, I's like to know as well.

I would say pass on it, you can often find a used 9600 in that price range. Much better performance, passive cooling, support for hdtv with a little adapter. I would say that the Volari is only worth it at about half of that price tag.

But if you aren't playing games, what advantage does the 9600 have if the XGI has a good HDTV output?

valve1138 said:
But if you aren't playing games, what advantage does the 9600 have if the XGI has a good HDTV output?
Now thats the question here. The Volari's tv-out/svideo has been proven beyond doubt to be superior, but hows the signal vis a vis DVI & VGA & component? Maybe i have some catching up to do...

Its the quality of its digital signal that concerns me most. I've read that it varies widely even among the top tier manufacturers.

Oh yea, for component output on the 9600, a seperate $18 adapter would have to be purchased.

Just in case anyone is wondering this card will not work with MCE, it doesn't have MCE certified drivers which seems to cause a few issues and XGI doesn't plan on coming out with any (although their new cards will be MCE certified).

Back