XFX To Sell ATi Based Video Cards

I'm guessing they couldn't compete with EVGA & BFG so made an even worse decision to go to a lesser selling brand? A lot of people are praising there move but I see it as one they'll quickly regret in the long run.

I'm guessing they couldn't compete with EVGA & BFG so made an even worse decision to go to a lesser selling brand? A lot of people are praising there move but I see it as one they'll quickly regret in the long run.

Ummm lol?

XFX is actually a bigger company then EVGA or BFG. Also XFX will still sell nvidia cards....

currently ati isn't lesser selling brand :rolleyes:

This could also possibly be break from those polygonal asian chick stickers that other brands have, unless XFX follows suit (Which I doubt).

Hmm...Perhaps I should return this HIS 4870 1GB and buy one from XFX. I wonder if they'll offer step-up for ATI based designs?

This could also possibly be break from those polygonal asian chick stickers that other brands have, unless XFX follows suit (Which I doubt).

Unless the break is some weird hot chick/ robotic dog hybrid.....

Hmm...Perhaps I should return this HIS 4870 1GB and buy one from XFX. I wonder if they'll offer step-up for ATI based designs?

You know when you step up they don't honor what you paid for the card that your stepping up from...they will only honor the current retail value for it. In most cases it's cheaper to just sell your card before the next gens hit the shelves. And lifetime warranties are overrated unless you really do plan on keeping your video card for more than a year.

Not, too familiar with XFX what's the likely-hood of them putting out a 4850 X2 2GB is that the kind of performance card they specialize in ???

XFX is amazing and I'm glad we in the US will finally have an ATI distributor with decent local support. I loved my HD4870's from Powercolor, but there was always this nagging at the back of my mind. I have 2 XFX GTX260's now: one XXX, and one Black Edition. I know they are a chinese company but I just feel more comfortable knowing they have a fully localized presence here in the US. Black and red themed ATI cards to counter the black and green of the nvidia cards sounds like an amazing combo as well!!

Does XFX have a step up program?

I hadn't heard anything yet ... I know BFG does now. And I was under the impression it was based on what you paid, not current retail as someone suggested above. When I stepped up via EVGA for my 780i I got all the credit that I spent on the 680i towards the price.

Does XFX have a step up program?

While the step up is nice, I find it redundant personally. If you buy a card at launch I don't know the chances of being able to pick up a card for roughly the same price, and more performance is pretty nill. It only helps when you know a new card is coming out. Even then I would probably just wait for the new one.

While the step up is nice, I find it redundant personally. If you buy a card at launch I don't know the chances of being able to pick up a card for roughly the same price, and more performance is pretty nill. It only helps when you know a new card is coming out. Even then I would probably just wait for the new one.

This will be the second time I got "screwed" with false hopes of step up, even though this time it won't be as bad. The first time was when I bought the 8800GTS 512MB version. I actually paid more for the EVGA brand in the hopes that the 9k series would be worth stepping up to. Then they came out with the 9800GX2. They also made the stupid 9800GTX which was actually just a slightly modified 8800 GTS 512, and pretty much a waste of a thousand. And while the 9800GX2 has been one of the better dual card solutions to date, and SLI scaling has improved, it still is not my card of choice, and would've been another $300 to step up to that. I already had an SLI motherboard, so by the time the 9800GX2 came out I could've bought a second GTS 512 for a lot less money than stepping up to the GX2. Step-up did me NO GOOD.

So this time I bought a BFG, excited that they now have trade-up. Looks like nVidia is going to do it to me again. The 295 is likely to come out within my step up window. I'd MUCH rather have a die-shrunk GTX 260 or 280, but they're not likely to come out with that card in time. I don't want SLI in a card. I don't need it.

The good news is that I got a really nice price on my 260 Maxcore with a free copy of FC 2 and 3DMark Vantage. It'll be even sweeter when I get the MIR. It happens to be a monster of a card. Non-216 core versions have seen a huge price drop. I might luck out. If the GTX295 really debuts at $500 it will actually be cheaper to trade-up to one of those than buy a second 260 for SLI. The chances that the 295 will be $500 anywhere within my trade-up window directly from BFG are slim to none, though.

I'm convinced that nVidia's "favorite" manufacturers know the release dates ahead of time and plan step=up/trade=up windows accordingly so that it provides the least benefit possible or at least costs the most possible for customers to upgrade. This will be the second time in a row it's financially done me no good. We'll see. a $220 step up from a 260 maxcore to the new 295 is a worthy upgrade for $220, but it's likely to not work out that well for me.

Like I said, we'll see...

GOOD! It might make ATI a possible choice for me again. I didn't have a very good experience with Sapphire, one of ATI's AIB partners and heard other AIB partners kind of sucked, too.

This is a good thing. Too bad it didn't come in time to broaden my choices for a replacement vid card for yet another dead Sapphire card.

That might be out of your budget but I doubt that this is also out of your budget, it is now $290 after rebate :eek::
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1373890

I had trouble with XFX honoring a rebate, although it might be my problem this time.

An e-mail told me the rebate was coming, but it never arrived. I got caught up in life and only now just got around to checking into it. It could be it was lost in the mail. Also, I do a terrible job of keeping an eye on one of my snail-mail addies, so that could be it. *shrug*

I've been checking the XFX category on NewEgg several times per day, so they must have just gone up recently (Within the last 4 hours).

Buy them now before the sell out.
$169 for the 4850 isn't so bad.

The 4870 prices don't look so good though.

I want to see some pictures from a review or something, with the black cover removed.

Back