XFX Speedster MERC319 6900 XT paint chipping on fan shroud

jhatfie

[H]ard|Gawd
So this is interesting, I picked up a brand new XFX Speedster MERC319 6900 XT Black to mess about with. Before installing it, peeled off the plastic film on the shroud and blackplate and the paint came right off with it in multiple spots. Anyone seen that before?

IMG_20210913_111710.jpg
IMG_20210913_111731.jpg

Outside the shoddy paint, card appears to be an absolute beast. Just popped it in, set the power limit to +10%, voltage to 1080mv, max frequency to 2650mhz and memory to 107% with fast timings using the drivers just released today with all kinds of crap running in the background.
3dmark_new.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: noko
like this
You have an amazing card. You'll love it.
Yeah so far it is pretty impressive. I have a RTX 3090 FE that I am likely going to just sell, pocket the extra $600 difference. In the meantime, I'll reach out to XFX and see if they can do anything about the chipping paint issue.

Since it seems to overclock very well I'd keep it and just either use some paint and a model brush or a black permanent marker to help fill in the chips for now. Better than leaving it like that.

Nothing that a black magic market can't touch up :D. I have the same card, paint did not come off but I am a little limited on ram OC, core clock gets way up there. Card is super quiet and powerful.

XFX responded to my ticket and offered to send me a new cooler/shroud. That is some pretty solid support right there. Decided to sell my 3090 FE since this XFX is super fast. Put the 3090 up on eBay and it sold almost instantly. Crazy.

Last edited:
So this is interesting, I picked up a brand new XFX Speedster MERC319 6900 XT Black to mess about with. Before installing it, peeled off the plastic film on the shroud and blackplate and the paint came right off with it in multiple spots. Anyone seen that before?

View attachment 394866
View attachment 394867

Outside the shoddy paint, card appears to be an absolute beast. Just popped it in, set the power limit to +10%, voltage to 1080mv, max frequency to 2650mhz and memory to 107% with fast timings using the drivers just released today with all kinds of crap running in the background.
View attachment 394875
One of the best scores I've seen. I can't touch that, even with MPT.

I have a 6800 XT version of that card, no problems with the paint. Very happy with it as well.

One of the best scores I've seen. I can't touch that, even with MPT.
Yeah I have a 6900XT Nitro+ in my son's rig and I thought it was a pretty decent overclocker, but this XFX blows it away. Wonder if it can break 23k in the graphics score.

3dmark_newer.JPG

EDIT: Nevermind. Answered that.

3dmark_newest.JPG

Last edited:
Water cool that thang and forget about the shroud. ;)
lol, I am too lazy to do a custom loop these days. Did it for years, but swapped hardware often enough that it became a PITA. Good news though, new shroud has shipped. I'll likely just hang onto it and mount it when it comes time to sell the card.

Back