XFX RX590 with MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi will not display anything

Commander FAT

2[H]4U
Brand new computer with all new parts. I can’t get anything to output to my displays

ryzen 5 3600
XFX RX 590
MSI x570 Gaming Edge Wifi
Gskill ripjaws 8gb x 2 3200
Evga 500 watt psu 80 White
Western digital 500 gb nvme drive
Western digital 7200 rpm sata 500 gb

Hooked everything up but nothing would display to my monitor over display port. I’ve tried all three display ports. Also tried hdmi to my tv.

Pulled cmos battery and jumped the cmos clearing pins with a screwdriver. No change.

Unplugged both nvme and sata drive and still no change.

Tried each memory stick by itself in slot A2 and no change.

Moved rx590 to other pcie slot and no change.

Troubleshoot LEDs do not light up at all.

Interestingly enough I was able to update the BIOS using a usb stick and the flash button. At least, based on the flashing light, it seems the update was successful.

When rx590 is in the top pcie slot the blue power lights turn on but the fans never spin. Not sure if fans spin when I had them plugged into the bottom pcie slot but the blue lights do come on.

I took a volt meter to just about all of the power pins fromvoltages were okay. Also checked most of the ground wires and they were okay too.

Case fans and cpu fan spin.

RGB strip on the bottom of the motherboard also turns on.

I have no other components to test with. Nothing to swap out.

I’m stuck.

What else can I do?

can you test the video card in a different pc? Old one, or friends PC? Ask a friend to borrow a video card?

see if there is bios switch on card? ALSO is the board fully posting? Or giving any error codes or any codes for that matter?

Yeah is it POSTING? Does your keyboard numlock flash briefly? You said the Troubleshoot LEDs do not light up. So they don't light up at all during POST?
1589112504052.png

see if there is bios switch on card? ALSO is the board fully posting? Or giving any error codes or any codes for that matter?

I looked and did find a small switch next to the pcie power connectors. I moved it away from the connectors. Nothing changed though.

I don’t know if the board is posting. Nothing is sent to the monitor and I don’t have a pc speaker. I’m getting a speaker on Wednesday.

Yeah is it POSTING? Does your keyboard numlock flash briefly? You said the Troubleshoot LEDs do not light up. So they don't light up at all during POST?
View attachment 244374
I can’t tell for certain if the board posts. Nothing is sent to monitor and there is no pc speaker for beeps.

No trouble LED lights are coming on and no lights on my keyboard are turning on.

Sounds like a bad board. If you were close you could borrow some of my parts. Can you still return the board?

I pulled out all the ram and powered up. No trouble LEDs light up. I would have thought that the RAM trouble light would come on.

The only time the trouble LEDs come on is when the board is powered down. They all flash briefly.

Pulled CMOS battery again as I never pulled it after the supposedly successful BIOS update. No change.

pull it all apart and out of the case. reseat the cpu while pressing down on it. put in one stick of ram and the gpu. see if it will post. next try another higher wattage known good psu.

Usually pulling out cpu doesn't hurt anything. I've done it a few times. But what trouble light is on now? CPU light?

When I first installed the cooler I had a hard time screwing it down. I could tighten two screws on one side but the screws on the other side wouldn’t reach the little posts sticking through.

Is it possible to crush one edge of the cpu?

I also see no bent pins, no burn marks, and no indication of physical external damage.
Maybe I just got a dud?

When I first installed the cooler I had a hard time screwing it down. I could tighten two screws on one side but the screws on the other side wouldn’t reach the little posts sticking through.

Is it possible to crush one edge of the cpu?
it shouldnt, thats part of what the ihs is for. try going diagonal with the screws. did you double check your connections yet? cpu power is plugged in and in the right socket on psu? nm, not modular.

I know this sounds ridiculous. But If I were you I would take the CPU back out, make sure you didn't damage the pins, and you aren't missing any. then re-install it. If that isn't working then, you gotta make a decision and replace something. Since you don't have any extra parts, then maybe you can run to Microcenter and see what they suggest? Maybe they can test it for you.

I know this sounds ridiculous. But If I were you I would take the CPU back out, make sure you didn't damage the pins, and you aren't missing any. then re-install it. If that isn't working then, you gotta make a decision and replace something. Since you don't have any extra parts, then maybe you can run to Microcenter and see what they suggest? Maybe they can test it for you.

I reseated it a third or fourth time. No good.
All the pins are good and there’s no physical damage. I put in an RMA on Amazon and ordered a 3600x. It was only an extra 30 bucks.

ARGH new cpu still and it still won’t post.

MSI rep said to pull cmos battery for five minutes. I’ve already pulled the battery before but only for about a minute so now I’m doing that again.

Back