XFX RX5700XT short on Vcc3.3v

I have an XFX RX5700XT with a short to ground on Vcc3.3v rail . Anyone have any suggestions on what to test first on the card to find shorted component.

Thanks for any help.

Can you post a photo of the board?

Which rail is it that you have a short on? Vcc (that is, the big fat core rail) or the 3.3V one from the slot? How did you diagnose this?

Can you post a photo of the board?

Which rail is it that you have a short on? Vcc (that is, the big fat core rail) or the 3.3V one from the slot? How did you diagnose this?
The short seems to be on the 3.3v rail. I used resistance setting on meter and tested from pin 8 Vcc on the pci connector to ground.
I will disassemble card tomorrow and put up a pic.
The activity on a test bench PC was that when PC is turned on you get a quick flick of the XFX logo blue light on top of card. The computer does not post any display but no post beeps either. The two 12v 8pin and 6pin connectors on top of the card show blue lights which indicate the 12v is being supplied to card. No fan spin . GPU core warms up to touch.
If I boot test bench with alternate working video card in pcie slot 1 and defective XFX in pcie slot 2 PC boots but defective XFX card is not detected. Again blue lights will be present on the two top 12v connectors on the card.

IMG_20210704_154116_9.jpg
IMG_20210704_154020_1.jpg

Thanks for the help. Diagnosis of a video card is new for me but I have an electronic background just not much in the way of equipment to test these small components. 😀

Nothing obviously amiss in the pictures.

Given that it's the 3.3 rail, current injection is what I'd try next. Feed 3.3V into the circuit with a bench power supply and see what gets hot. The best way to look for hot components is a thermal camera. Second best way is with freeze spray. Third best way is isopropanol. Last resort is use your fingers.

Once you find it, identify the affected component, make sure you'll be able to get a replacement, and then hot air it off the board and confirm you've cleared the short with an ohmmeter.

Ok sounds good. Injection of 3.3 v will be ok but no access to thermal camera or other. If I boxed up and sent to you would you have a look?? I know the shipping would be a little but worth it I get it fixed. It's worth a try as card looks mint. I would cover shipping back to me as well and anything it cost you to fix.

Back