XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy OC+ Video Card Review @ [H]

Slightly off topic: Can someone link me all these places that keep being mentioned where brand new GTX 1070's are near $300 ?

I'm just not seeing that.

The lowest I can find at Newegg is $340 and that's with a rebate card, otherwise regular prices start at $360 without rebates.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=4814&IsNodeId=1&Description=GTX 1070&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36
exactly what I found. tree fiddy is the lowest without a rebate and its a refurb.

eVGA has had deals up every wed for the last few weeks on there website

edit
B stock but still a 1070 for 330 https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=08G-P4-5170-RX

I'm sorry but that just doesn't compare.

That is Factory Recertified, Not brand new.

I'm talking brand new to brand new, the price still doesn't even compare used. $279.99 to $330 for a used card item, just doesn't compare, IMO. That's a big price difference in this segment. $50 is a significant difference, and you don't even get a new card with that GTX 1070.

New GTX 1070's are in the $350 range at best.

That is Factory Recertified, Not brand new.

I'm talking brand new to brand new, the price still doesn't even compare used. $279.99 to $330 for a used card item, just doesn't compare, IMO. That's a big price difference in this segment.

the ones that were like 310, 320 and they had one for 280 where all one day sales over the last month and i only found them because i have 2 friends looking for cards one is trying to catch a 2080ti in stock the other is looking for 1060 or 1070 so i have been camping eVGA's web site

there are deals out there and we still have blackfriday/cyberweekend deals to come too

but imo 290 is to much for refresh of a refresh at this point

heh just noticed that 1060 comes with Monster Hunter World and Destiny 2 + DLC you could make a case they are worth 100 bucks or so making that an even better deal at 200 with free shipping

Last edited:
also here is a 1060 6GB for 200 https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-6262-KR and NOT B stock

this alone i think pulls the 580 down from a Hard gold to silver

That is a good price for GTX 1060, it wasn't that low until just now though, check the pricing over time, but note that is standard reference GTX 1060 clocks, no factory overclock. The RX 590 is going to beat it anyway, default, or overclocked. Overclock the 1060, the 590 still beats it in performance and allows a better 1440p experience as well, which is where the GTX 1060 6GB suffers.

I still feel validated in my opinion to give the XFX RX 590 Fatboy OC+ a Gold award.

I haven't seen any evidence yet to invalidate my opinion based on pricing today of GTX 1070's or 1060's.

I reaffirm my position that GTX 1070 is in a different league. Of course it's faster, but that's not really in question, it is all down to to the pricing.

eh factory overclocks dont mean much any more they are a few % at best and likely youll get more then ocing it your self on either card

AMD needs something NEW not a refresh of an already 3 year old gpu

the ones that were like 310, 320 and they had one for 280 where all one day sales over the last month and i only found them because i have 2 friends looking for cards one is trying to catch a 2080ti in stock the other is looking for 1060 or 1070 so i have been camping eVGA's web site

there are deals out there and we still have blackfriday/cyberweekend deals to come too

but imo 290 is to much for refresh of a refresh at this point

heh just noticed that 1060 comes with Monster Hunter World and Destiny 2 + DLC you could make a case they are worth 100 bucks or so making that an even better deal at 200 with free shipping

You can't really count one day sales, or extreme black friday deals as everyday general prices. I'm sure RX 590 may have some deals around black friday as well, so consider that.

We are in a time of year where there are some great sales, and that's fine, but it's far from standard pricing.

I would also argue the 3 game bundle with the RX 590 is worth about $150.

eh factory overclocks dont mean much any more they are a few % at best and likely youll get more then ocing it your self on either card

AMD needs something NEW not a refresh of an already 3 year old gpu

And even with that GTX 1060 manually overclocked, RX 590 is still going to beat that overclocked GTX 1060 in gaming performance.

Despite AMD needing something new, the facts are the RX 590 is a great card for someone looking to upgrade from an older generation and wants top-notch 1080p gaming in 2018. That's my opinion based on gameplay experience.

Despite AMD needing something new, the facts are the RX 590 is a great card for someone looking to upgrade from an older generation and wants top-notch 1080p gaming in 2018. That's my opinion based on gameplay experience.

I'd buy it for that purpose... but I had already put the RX580 in that slot ;).

[I'd looked at these vs. the 1060 as my Linux box has a GTX970 in it...]

never said it wasnt just that i think its 50 bucks to much

Hey Kyle/Brent, have you guys considering doing an Nvidia/AMD driver overhead comparison????

(I stuck with Nvidia even tho 580's are cheap because of rumored overhead and my cpu being a cast-member in Land Before Time)

If the Vega 56 deals for $349 keeps up, I don't see the point of the 590....these sales have been going on for some time now, $70 for whole other level of performance, if you're passing on that, that bag of crack rocks you're smoking must be mighty tasty.

I have a question for those arguing about the "award". How can you say the 590 doesn't deserve a gold award when it's the performance leader at its price point and its market segment?

Saying the best performing card for the price point and market segment doesn't deserve a gold award doesn't make any since whatsoever.

I have a question for those arguing about the "award". How can you say the 590 doesn't deserve a gold award when it's the performance leader at its price point and its market segment?

Saying the best performing card for the price point and market segment doesn't deserve a gold award doesn't make any since whatsoever.
Stopped arguing about awards with people a long time ago. If you don't like our subjective award, act like it is not there. Problem fixed. ;)

Driver overhead, i.e., DX11 API overhead, is really a hard thing to test and compare. The question when testing it is how much of the performance differences can you really quantify as "overhead." Before you even answer that, you first have to define overhead, and that in itself is hard to quantify and define.

I look at it like this, it just doesn't matter. The performance is what it is, I trust AMD and NVIDIA know a lot more about its own drivers respectively than me. I'm surely not going to be able to change driver performance in my gaming or testing. I don't base my video card performance decisions on driver "overhead" I don't think anyone really does. What matters at the bottom line is performance. So that is all I can test, video card performance, and compare them to each other. That's what matters most.

Driver overhead, i.e., DX11 API overhead, is really a hard thing to test and compare. The question when testing it is how much of the performance differences can you really quantify as "overhead." Before you even answer that, you first have to define overhead, and that in itself is hard to quantify and define.

I look at it like this, it just doesn't matter. The performance is what it is, I trust AMD and NVIDIA know a lot more about its own drivers respectively than me. I'm surely not going to be able to change driver performance in my gaming or testing. I don't base my video card performance decisions on driver "overhead" I don't think anyone really does. What matters at the bottom line is performance. So that is all I can test, video card performance, and compare them to each other. That's what matters most.

Thank you for your concise and professional response!

Slightly off topic: Can someone link me all these places that keep being mentioned where brand new GTX 1070's are near $300 ?

I'm just not seeing that.

The lowest I can find at Newegg is $340 and that's with a rebate card, otherwise regular prices start at $360 without rebates.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=4814&IsNodeId=1&Description=GTX 1070&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

I am sure the responses to that will be ebay and evga b stock lol.

We are now celebrating and awarding the lack of innovation on a virtually rebranded product? Can't say I'm on board with most of the conclusions on the last page. Honestly very surprised at what I just read.

Really appreciate the benchmarks though, very thorough.

We are now celebrating and awarding the lack of innovation on a virtually rebranded product? Can't say I'm on board with most of the conclusions on the last page. Honestly very surprised at what I just read.

Really appreciate the benchmarks though, very thorough.

The reward is based on performance, product positioning, gameplay experience delivered at 1080p and 1440p compared to the competition, and being the leader in this price segment on performance, not AMD's business practices. Point of contention, it is a genuine refresh not (rebrand), a new manufacturing process, and established clock speeds is a refresh in the true sense of the word. A rebrand would be just a renaming with no change. The RX 590 definitely has change over the RX 580, as a fact.

The RX 580 often matches the Fury and even the Fury X on Tessellation bound scenarios and considering that the Fury X still trading blows with the GTX 980 Ti. I suspect that the Fatboy would be very close to Fury X/GTX 980 Ti more often than not compared to what the RX 580 achieved. Even now on non Tessellation bound games.

I was hoping for a little more out of this, makes me much happier I scooped my new open box V64 for $400 a couple of weeks ago.

The RX 580 often matches the Fury and even the Fury X on Tessellation bound scenarios and considering that the Fury X still trading blows with the GTX 980 Ti. I suspect that the Fatboy would be very close to Fury X/GTX 980 Ti more often than not compared to what the RX 580 achieved. Even now on non Tessellation bound games.

If the rx 580 trade blows with the gtx 980Ti are you saying it trade blows with the gtx 1070? Lol.. out of proportion statement..

Gtx 1060 6gb and RX 580 are gtx 980 tier level of performance... and there is where vanilla fury lands too, in games heavily limited by geometry peformance to the point rx 580 will be faster than fury X means also the 980Ti will crush the fury X, also let's not forget that AMD basically forgot the fury line since the launch of RX 480 as all optimizations where launched with Polaris in mind and not with Fiji so no HBM optimizations(anyone forgot about the theee engineers AMD had optimizing in a per game basis the driver for HBM.) .. but saying that suddenly rx 580 it's 980Ti level of peformance it's like saying it will be also be gtx 1070 levels and Vega 56 when we all know thats not simply true..

there's still a huge performance gap to fill between rx 580/gtx 1060 6gb and Vega 56/ gtx 1070 and the rx 590 just failed to fill that spot.. specially speaking of the Vega 56 as the price it's just too close of the actual rx 590.

I like the fact AMD released the RX 590. Sure it's not exciting and a little disappointing, but lets be honest, it is better than nothing while we wait for something truly new from them. Yes it is a bit power hungry and built on what is now old tech, but it is still a good performing product and notably better than the 580. I agree it should have been priced a bit lower at under $250. I do however think once the newness wears off, the prices will naturally settle. Maybe the real price to performance compelling purchase right now though is the RX 570 and 580 if you count the 2 game bundle and current sale prices. I just today nabbed my daughter a 8GB 570 for $150 to replace her old 2GB GTX 950. I was going to buy all 3 games in the bundle anyway, so once I factor the two freebies in, that is maybe saving me $80 from buying them, so in my mind I essentially got the 570 for $70.

Last edited:
Great job by XFX on cooler design! Looks like a perfect design decision, those flat lines right at rated speeds looked great/perfect and that was with Stealth mode on! Then with a max OC it could also maintain those steady higher clocks with increase fan speed is about as good as it gets.

Brent did an outstanding job to clearly show performance potential between maxing out the 1060 Pascal GPU and 12nm Polaris 590 GPU! Reading article brought smiles to my face not on who won but nailing the Review.

Someone mentioned FreeSync considerations earlier and that is such a huge benefit going with AMD for an improved gaming experience - I would strongly say at 1440p with FreeSync this card would do just fine if not great from a gaming experience. For me it has been very frustrating finding a Gsync monitor remotely worth the selling price while the two FreeSync monitors I have are great. Not to mention the almost total lack of Gsync HDR monitors unless you can afford $1700+ for a 27" 4K HDR Gsync monitor and consider that a worthwhile deal - I don't.

I like it better when AMD and other companies let the AIBs let loose with their own solutions and not muddle up with limited reference designs. Giving the available GPU's to AIBs making a better competing card will sell more GPU's for AMD as well as making it simpler for AMD overall. Instead of competing against the AIB, work with them even more so they can be as successful as possible - if they win AMD wins.

Good GPU win for AMD here and another outstanding [H]ardOCP review.

I agree with Noko if AMD would allow AIB do custom cooling from the start (and keeping within a certain bracket cost wise) some cards look much more attractive. Hoping that Navi release next time around is the same as this one.

As someone holding onto a 7970 looking to get into VR, I need a card that will do premium VR below $500 or great 1440p gaming with okay VR below $300 as a stop gap for a year or two.

The rx590 comes close. A Vega 56 would be better but just over my price limit. Amd really needs to get their VR up to snuff. And I haven't seen a VR review in a long time.

can't believe how well the 390X 8GBs is still doing with i7-3770k at 4.5 GHZ on 1440p.

tons of heat, but performance compared with the rx 580 and 590 is still good.

but at least there is still a good offering at 275-300$ range, with all the crazy 800-1200 $cards becoming a given.

This card for $290 or a brand new 1070 for $310 or a Vega 56 for $330 (both of which have come up in the past month)? This is a $200 card priced $90 too high.
I was thinking the same. On top of that, used 1070s are plentiful on ebay in the $200-$230 range. IMHO this should have replaced the RX 580 at $239MSRP, Bump the RX 580 down to $219 MSRP and leave the 4G 480 @ $199

Thanks for the review guys.

Part of me wanted to make fun for not being a truly new card. The other part of me relishes in taking any tech to its fullest potential and the 590 seems to be just that. Well done AMD for making a card that can dominate affordable 1080p/1440p gaming.

BTW just saw this headline at OC3D:
It may take two quarters for Nvidia to sell out excess GTX 1060 stock : https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gp...or_nvidia_to_sell_out_excess_gtx_1060_stock/1

Can't imagine the 590 is going to help NV with those.

While I am disappointed that AMD hasn't offered any real new GPUs in this segment in a couple of years, I am impressed to see how far they have been able to push Polaris with just manufacturing changes. Imagine in a different world if the manufacturing process had gone smoother and this was the RX480 delivered 2 years ago?

A great value now, to be sure.

Thanks for the review guys.

Part of me wanted to make fun for not being a truly new card. The other part of me relishes in taking any tech to its fullest potential and the 590 seems to be just that. Well done AMD for making a card that can dominate affordable 1080p/1440p gaming.

BTW just saw this headline at OC3D:
It may take two quarters for Nvidia to sell out excess GTX 1060 stock : https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gp...or_nvidia_to_sell_out_excess_gtx_1060_stock/1

Can't imagine the 590 is going to help NV with those.

I see 12nm Vegas or possibly 7nm Vegas in q2 2019. I don't think hbm2 availability is an issue any more as it's been well over a year. That's plenty of time to raise yields and stock. Given 2 mfg are making it one of them had to have some luck with process improvements.

I hope nvidia learns some humility and sits on those 1060s for over a year.

While I am disappointed that AMD hasn't offered any real new GPUs in this segment in a couple of years, I am impressed to see how far they have been able to push Polaris with just manufacturing changes. Imagine in a different world if the manufacturing process had gone smoother and this was the RX480 delivered 2 years ago?

A great value now, to be sure.

after the R9 290 they ran into the same problems RX480/580/590 suffer from. Even if you would do Polaris on 7nm it is lipstick on a pig ...
I see 12nm Vegas or possibly 7nm Vegas in q2 2019. I don't think hbm2 availability is an issue any more.

Vega 7nm is professional market only. Navi is the next thing (2019) that is coming to desktop nothing else ...

after the R9 290 they ran into the same problems RX480/580/590 suffer from. Even if you would do Polaris on 7nm it is lipstick on a pig ...

Vega 7nm is professional market only. Navi is the next thing (2019) that is coming to desktop nothing else ...

I don't see first gen navi being competitive out of the gate on high end. It will be a low powered early test implementation of their future chiplet packing for video cards. A minor modification of what's going in ps5

I don't see amd selling a lot of instinct accelerators. That means they will have excess capacity. Looking at their pro makret share breakdown, it seems to reinforce that standpoint. And the 7nm is just a small refinement of Vega. Q2 2019 is my next bet

See I told you so, leaks from 2 years ago about 1700mhz polaris ;-) haha.

Kinda sad you guys didn't put a reference 480 in there just to see the kinda improvement AMD has done to Polaris over all. Nice review as always.

Back