XFX R9 Fury Triple Dissipation Review

HardOCP News

[H] News
The crew at Overclockers Club have taken the XFX R9 Fury Triple Dissipation video card around the block a few times to see what it was capable of. As it turns out, the gang got a pretty decent overclock out of this card thanks to the beefy cooler on the thing.

Earlier reviews of the R9 Fury pointed out a lack of overclocking capability, especially when talking about the High Bandwidth Memory. I found that I was able to squeeze some additional clock speed headroom out of both the Fiji core and the HBM. In my testing I was able to see clock speed increases of over 10%. Pretty stout for a card with supposedly no overclocking headroom. In each case, the R9 Fury delivered improved gaming performance with the clock speed bump.

It's interesting to see them overclock it past the Fury X's clocks, makes the Fury X mostly irrelevant. XFX is right on the money with that cooler. Although it is pretty sad to see it still being bested by a 980 in most tests and only leading by a small amount in others.

I'm so confused by these results...

First of all, are ALL the cards overclocked in the overclocked comparisons ? If so, by how much ?

In Hitman I see the nvidia cards performing far better than I expected them to, in The Division I see a trend that goes against the other reviews I've seen.

This is just plain weird.
index.php

vs
screenshot-www overclockersclub com 2016-04-28 21-28-30.png

I wonder if this cooler is better or worse than Sapphire's TriX
Dead even design....xfx is way better in customer service. Sapphire doesn't even bother with a rep here, so take it for what its worth.

"Dead even design" ?
Fury Cards incompatible with certain Asus motherboards • /r/Amd
^ Magic BIOS/UEFI button. But I don't understand why the XFX is not working either.
well after reading that it appears to be operator error as usual as this different article says it indeed has a dual bios switch. Even if it did not all you have to do is reconfigure your bios for non UEIF mode or legacy/bios mode. The guy from that reddit was probably a rookie. lol The only differences i see is minor cosmetic differences.

Although you wouldn’t know it looking at this card, the matte black PCB is a mere 7.7 inches long. The Triple Dissipation cooler stretches to more than 12 inches in length. The cooler also bulges past its dual-slot bracket, so you’ll need three empty expansion slots in your system to fit this card. There’s a strip of nine activity LEDs above the pair of 8-pin PCIe power connectors, and you can swap the red/blue color scheme using DIP switches. There’s also an inconspicuous dual BIOS switch on the top edge of the card. The heavy-duty cooler features six large copper heatpipes running through a block of aluminum fins. Like SAPPHIRE’s card, there’s a die-cast mounting frame to add rigidity to the PCB and cooler assembly.

from here
http://www.computerpoweruser.com/article/19207/xfx-radeon-r9-fury-triple-dissipation-r9-fury-4tf9

Last edited:
Seems backwards to me. With how commonplace and downright inexpensive AIO water coolers are becoming, I would have hoped that fewer and fewer high end cards would be air cooled, and more and more would become smaller and smaller with nice quick disconnects and perhaps different radiator size options from the factory so you could go with a 140mm, 240mm, or hook it into an existing loop with ease.

They actually perform identical! Sapphire's heatpipe layout on the end is a little better to pass through air but the temps are similar on both units. I don't see that they mentioned a dual vapor chamber design which Sapphire's does have. Did I miss that? Also, if you check the Powercolor Fury, the cooler is identical to the XFX except for the lack of backplate.

Seems backwards to me. With how commonplace and downright inexpensive AIO water coolers are becoming, I would have hoped that fewer and fewer high end cards would be air cooled, and more and more would become smaller and smaller with nice quick disconnects and perhaps different radiator size options from the factory so you could go with a 140mm, 240mm, or hook it into an existing loop with ease.

Quick disconnects in a consumer GPU are probably a dream. People find new and amazing ways to mess up simple things on a PC all the time, quick disconnects may end up a disaster :(

Quick disconnects in a consumer GPU are probably a dream. People find new and amazing ways to mess up simple things on a PC all the time, quick disconnects may end up a disaster :(

AIOs you can disconnect also pose a problem for the manufacturer in how to handle warranty claims

AIOs you can disconnect also pose a problem for the manufacturer in how to handle warranty claims
Put self-destructive warranty tape over the quick disconnects. User removes them to install their own radiator, then they are on their own.

Back