XFX ProSeries 1250W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
XFX ProSeries 1250W Power Supply Review - While not exactly known for it, XFX puts out some extremely good power supplies. Every unit we have reviewed has received a Gold or Silver Editor's Award. XFX is back today with a huge 1250 watt PSU that sports very good efficiency as well as a plethora of newly trademarked lingo. But how does it do at full load in our incubator?

Thanks for the review... much as I enjoy seeing you blast sub-standard PSU's, it's nice to see some great ones as well :D

nice review. i have a question about large power supplies. if I were to get this 1250w psu with my current setup in my sig. would it run at 1250watts all the time and there-by be a bigger draw on my electricity or is it more of a situation where it only draws what it needs but can scale up when the power demands go up?

It only outputs what is demanded of it (DC). However, if a larger power supply is less efficient at the same load (DC) it can cost you more because then it is drawing more power (AC).

thanks Paul Johnson for the info. was wanting to get a better psu and looked into a 1000w but was wondering how it would impact my power bill. which has already recieved a 2x jump in the last year.

A couple years ago this site recommended the XFX 850 as one of the options to power my GTX 470's in NVSurround and I have been very pleased. Two years of heavy usage for gaming and video/audio editing...not even a blip in power.

[H] has yet to disappoint with a PSU review.

This really is one heck of a review. XFX is finally able to produce a PSU that has all the qualities to lead in its class, good for them. I hope these units proves to be durable enough in the long run, which it should given the high-quality components used. Thanks for going into as much detail as you did.

nice review. i have a question about large power supplies. if I were to get this 1250w psu with my current setup in my sig. would it run at 1250watts all the time and there-by be a bigger draw on my electricity or is it more of a situation where it only draws what it needs but can scale up when the power demands go up?

I know this was answered, but I just wanted to be perfectly clear, thats not how power supplies work.

If a computer only needs 200 watts, the PSU will only put out 200 watts, regardless of if the PSU is a 500 watt a 1000 watt or a 300 watt. The efficiency rating means how many watts it sucks from your wall to give your computer the 200 watts. If you have a high efficiency PSU like the 80plus gold that gives 90% efficiency, that means if its giving your computer 200 watts, its actually sucking down about 220 watts from your wall. If you have a crappy old non-efficient PSU thats only rated at 75% efficiency, then its sucking down over 260 watts to deliver that 200 watts to your computer.

I just wanted to clarify and throw out examples, since I see this question sometimes.

thx Devistater glad i checked back. so efficiency is what i should be looking at. so i should be good. thx again for the clarification.

Just wanted to add to this thread.

I picked up this PSU this morning at www.ncix.com for what I think is not a bad price, 219.99 and then there is a 20.00 mail-in rebate making it 199.99. The sale is over on 4/4/2012 and this is the Canada side of ncix.com site, the exchange is par, FYI. No sale on the US site, 299.99. For comparisons you can go from Canada to the US site by hitting the linkage on the upper left of the website.

Check it out if you're interested... 199.99

I picked up a second AMD 7970 and wanted a beefier PSU and was perusing the site when I noticed this PSU and remembered this review and though to myself, SCORE!!!

Anyway, thought I would share and say "THX" to [H] for the great reviews, they always make for a great read and are handy baby!

Thx again

Great review, awesome PSU. This cements any doubts of XFX being a top notch power supply manufacturer. I've been running the Seasonic made 650w XXX for quite a while and it's been absolutely excellent-XFX has definitely nailed this segment of the market. I put the same level of trust in XFX PSUs as I would in Seasonic, Corsair, etc. It looks great in the case, too...

JyfIH.jpg

Slight necro but I just ordered one. I've been using a XFX 850 Black for almost a year without any hiccups or issues of any kind. Now that I'm about to add two more overclocked video cards to my system and run full load 24/7 I decided maybe I should get a really big boy power supply.

I bought based on this review and the fact that hopefully the cables from my xfx 850 will plug right into this one making the swap very simple.

I guess the real reason for this post though is to mention that while reading the review I had to go back and re-read several sentences over again a few times. This was due to the excessive use of double negatives (especially in the summary) when comparing it to the xfx1000.

It made for some not unconfusing reading. (see what I did there?)

Back