XFX No Longer Honors Lifetime Warranties!

Hey Guys,

Mark here... Still here, just less involved in daily social media now, i'm doing more big picture stuff at the moment.

The Lifetime warranty is 100% still in tact with all Lifetime warranty cards... I personally RMA 20-50 4+ year old cards a week...

The particular serial # in question here was never eligible for an extended warranty and was bought used with a non-transferable warranty.

Lets keep the facts straight. No. It wasn't registered within 30 days of purchase from an authorized retailer. it was bought used on ebay, long after we sold it to etail/disty. Also, it was not a product with a transferable warranty in the first place.

If I RMA a video card as a favor for a community member, friend, or on accident, it doesn't suddenly validate a lifetime warranty. Also, don't keep asking it to be "escalated" so everyone see's a flagged ticket to find out whats going on.

If you ever have an issue with an out of warranty video card, ask me.

This serial # is dead.

93FF2684-B35B-4B26-A4DE-DE9729327C1E.jpeg

lol i just RMAed my 8800gt to evga registered in 2007-2008 and they sent me back a 730gt
I still have a GTX285 with the lifetime warranty and the 2 day Advanced RMA Replacement option. That option covers all shipping charges, they ship me a replacement card in 2 days then I put the label they send me on the box and send my bad card to them.
Wonder what I would get if it failed now?

I think this all started when some punk on Reddit bought a GTS 250 for change off eBay. Then he proceeded to make a very public post on reddit to 'test' XFX's lifetime warranty. Of course this was a public relations nightmare, and in the end, he received a GTS 250 back (which I wouldn't be surprised if XFX bought another one off eBay, lol).

For me, I bought have my Vega 64 Limited registered to XFX, and I wouldn't expect much after 3 years.

Are most warranties voided if ever OC or OV?

If one of my cards failed I just toss it in the trash. Since I always at least OC once or more. If the card fails within 30 days I will return it and get a new one or cash back unless I did something to break it then I will just eat it

If one of my cards failed I just toss it in the trash. Since I always at least OC once or more. If the card fails within 30 days I will return it and get a new one or cash back unless I did something to break it then I will just eat it
I think in almost all cases xfx would just treat every card in the same fashion especially with them phasing out lifetime warentys......id be more pissed off if some jack ass sent in a card caked full of smoke filled dust and bugs...honestly in this day in age if your buying an amd card to overclock with specifically, what most people are undervolting lol

Overclocking doesnt void your warranty in N. America

Overclocking doesnt void your warranty in N. America
Is there some legal precedent here? It is up to the manufacturer if it voids or not. For example MSI will honor a failed card if Afterburner was used to OC, but any hardware modifications no.

How would they know? For NVidia cards Telemetry could be used, for AMD cards if you participate in here hardware usage sharing option when loading drivers.

Anyways I will suck it up if the agreement is clear or be up front about it. Unless there is some legal means saying you can OC your hearts content, run out of spec temp, voltage and or clock speeds and enjoy that replacement card after I fry the previous one up.

There are so many hardware protections in place for overclocking - Power limits etc. You can't destroy the card unless you really hardware mod it.

There are so many hardware protections in place for overclocking - Power limits etc. You can't destroy the card unless you really hardware mod it.
That is immaterial as far as I can tell. it is up to the manufacturer within laws to honor or not what they considered running a card out of spec resulting in a failire.

If one wants to be dishonest about it then that is another thing. If one agrees with whatever stipulation for a given warranty then breaking it and expecting it to be honored anyways is to me a form of theft.

US law states that manufacturers have to prove that anything you've done caused the failure being warranted. They (legally) can't just say "oh you overclocked? you damaged the card. Buy a new one " They would have to prove that there wasn't a defect, which can be more expensive than just replacing and refurbishing.

Of course, with the ignorance of the general population as it is, manufacturers have been pretty successful doing and saying many things to dissuade customers of taking advantage of their rights (e.g. "void if removed" stickers).

Reactions: noko
like this
Brand new means it has never been sold retail. Buying it on ebay from someone who bought it from a retailer is buying it used. Even retailers have to sell previously sold items as used, regardless of whether or not a customer actually touched it. Just look at Dell Outlet, they have items from cancelled orders for sale all the time, because that's the only way they can sell them.

So, unless you have it in writing from someone at XFX who was authorized to change the warranty terms, or your state has specific implied warranty provisions that cover your case here, then the expressed warranty terms are what's going to prevail "by law". Those terms state you must provide a valid proof of purchase and that the warranty is not transferrable.

I did provide provide a valid proof of purchase and that the warranty was never transferred. That is why they RMAed the original faulty GPU thus validating the the lifetime warranty.

I find myself in a similar situation, I purchased what I believed to be a new XFX R9 295x2 from a tiny little pc shop that was going out of business about a year and a half ago. the card recently died on me and so i went through the process of trying to see what my options were to get it repaired. Turns out the "shop" purchased it online and later resold it to me. to compound matters, my wife was doing a big cleanup of our basement, and even though i told her my tech room was off limits, out she tossed the box containing the receipt of my purchase. After searching the forums for some possible fixes for the card, i found the info for XFXsupport on here. Mark was super prompt in getting back to me but ultimately my card was just too far out of warranty to do anything with. I feel for what he has to go through in a day. Props to him for trying to go to bat for us!

US law states that manufacturers have to prove that anything you've done caused the failure being warranted. They (legally) can't just say "oh you overclocked? you damaged the card. Buy a new one " They would have to prove that there wasn't a defect, which can be more expensive than just replacing and refurbishing.

Of course, with the ignorance of the general population as it is, manufacturers have been pretty successful doing and saying many things to dissuade customers of taking advantage of their rights (e.g. "void if removed" stickers).
So if the contract specifically says warranty is void as in OCing, you agree to it but then OC and the card fails for whatever reason - I just don't see it OK personally to have the manufacturer replace/repair the part when I broke the agreement full knowing my actions means the warranty is off the table. In other words, manufacturers trust the buyer to follow and be honest with their products.

Now EVGA says specifically that OCing does not void the warranty, nor changing the cooler (very cool company). Then again with AMD that would be voided but with AMD you can crank up the power limit right in their drivers +50%, mess with voltages, ram speeds etc. I find Nvidia OCing overall anemic and limited in options while AMD is much more fun and with more potential to get more out of it. So if one of my EVGA 1080Ti fails, knowing the conditions - I would use the Warranty. With AMD and most AIB partners - no.

Bottom line is know what the warranty says, be honest, know what risks you are taking.

I feel better about my recent XFX purchase (first I have done, actually), and this thread was a good reminder to register said purchase. Bravo.

Reactions: noko
like this
So if the contract specifically says warranty is void as in OCing, you agree to it but then OC and the card fails for whatever reason - I just don't see it OK personally to have the manufacturer replace/repair the part when I broke the agreement full knowing my actions means the warranty is off the table. In other words, manufacturers trust the buyer to follow and be honest with their products.

Now EVGA says specifically that OCing does not void the warranty, nor changing the cooler (very cool company). Then again with AMD that would be voided but with AMD you can crank up the power limit right in their drivers +50%, mess with voltages, ram speeds etc. I find Nvidia OCing overall anemic and limited in options while AMD is much more fun and with more potential to get more out of it. So if one of my EVGA 1080Ti fails, knowing the conditions - I would use the Warranty. With AMD and most AIB partners - no.

Bottom line is know what the warranty says, be honest, know what risks you are taking.

If it policy states that overclocking voids the warranty and it fails because you overclocked it, then yes the warranty is void. If it fails because a defect caused it to catch fire, then they would have to cover it regardless of whether you overclocked or not.

I'm not suggesting that you be dishonest (though we seen plenty of evidence that some manufacturers have no issue with lying to customers to get out of a warranty claim). Just be mindful that your actions don't necessarily mean you have no options just because the manufacturer says so. The recent slapdown MS and Sony got over their void stickers should be enough to tell you that.

So what about my double lifetime warranty XFX Radeon HD 4850?

I am still the original owner meaning it should be eligible still for one lifetime warranty ownership transfer.

(I am too buzz to read or skim the thread)

If it policy states that overclocking voids the warranty and it fails because you overclocked it, then yes the warranty is void. If it fails because a defect caused it to catch fire, then they would have to cover it regardless of whether you overclocked or not.

I'm not suggesting that you be dishonest (though we seen plenty of evidence that some manufacturers have no issue with lying to customers to get out of a warranty claim). Just be mindful that your actions don't necessarily mean you have no options just because the manufacturer says so. The recent slapdown MS and Sony got over their void stickers should be enough to tell you that.
The question is, how would you know that the card failed due to defect or due to OCing efforts? Assuming it was a defect when one has no way of really knowing is just another justification and frankly just lying to oneself and to the company that limits OCing warranty coverage.

Just buy from a company that does allow OCing like EVGA if one is concern about the warranty - while more limited in what you can do with the card at least it is covered if it breaks.

Personally I like the wider options with AMD cards on OCing and part of the glory is sometimes accepting or risking that failure which you can learn from. If you can't afford the loss then don't play that game.

I am still the original owner meaning it should be eligible still for one lifetime warranty ownership transfer.

obviously you still good.....but you likely get a newer super low end card as replacement...what ever the cheapest card they have lol

Their support system went down a few years back and it seems they lost a lot of registrations. Try logging in and see what you get.

So 99% of the time a lifetime warranty means a product is covered for the life of a product line. So I made 302 Sponge Widgets with a lifetime warranty and you bought one do you people believe the warranty covers the card for your life or the entire time the card is in your possession? I’m perplexed.

I’m not familiar with XFX warranties but I deal with warranties frequently.

Back