XFX HD5870 *New Model* $419.99 - 12.5% BCB *Instock at TigerDirect*

fail non reference cooler. XFX is the worse brand to buy if its non reference, cheap parts, cheap pwm, cheap caps, cheap coolers, cheap bastards. But we will double lifetime warranty your new POS.

rofl @ revised 2.1

Really that bad?? XFX doesn't seem to make them with the stock coolers anymore.

The cooler is probably quieter and the card is shorter, but the cheaper components will limit your overclocking abilities. If you don't overclock then its a non issue. ~$367.5 after cashback is a great deal.

The cooler is probably quieter and the card is shorter, but the cheaper components will limit your overclocking abilities. If you don't overclock then its a non issue.

What about crossfire?

You guys got me scared. Will just wait till I can find a referenced XFX.

Seems like a good deal. $419.99 - $51.66 (bing 12.3%) = $368.33 and no tax in CA plus free shipping. Newegg is asking $419

If you are not overclocking it doesn't matter.

Yes they use cheaper parts (non reference design), but as long as you register your warranty xfx will honor it.

XFX uses cheaper parts, as others have said, however they still offer double lifetime warrenty and if your not overlocking its no issue at all.

If you are not overclocking it doesn't matter.

Yes they use cheaper parts (non reference design), but as long as you register your warranty xfx will honor it.

This. If you arn't tweaking the card, the warranty makes it an OK deal. The deal's only good because of the price, the lowered capabilities keep it from being a "great" deal.

That being said, I don't need one badly enough.

I have to ask where you got your info on the cheap part being used on these cards.

from past experience with non reference XFX cards and if you search the web you can compare PCB and other things. they usually run hotter and aside from no voltage control they usually OC like crap.

XFX uses cheaper parts, as others have said, however they still offer double lifetime warrenty and if your not overlocking its no issue at all.

is a FAIL if you have WC is a nightmare to get the right block, i'd stay away from the non reference cards as others have said, cheaper parts.

is a FAIL if you have WC is a nightmare to get the right block, i'd stay away from the non reference cards as others have said, cheaper parts.

This.

Plus it's not really a 'hot' deal - I got a reference xfx 2 months ago for $350 from TD/CUSA/CC after bcb.

They stunk up the place with the non reference HD4890s. I wouldn't buy a non reference card from them or anyone else if I didn't have to.

Is there a way to tell whether its a reference board or newer model by looking at the packaging? I have a 100 dollar gift card from frys and was going to go swoop up a 5870 from xfx mainly because of their excellent warranty.

For a technical way I dont know, but just look at the PCI-E pin locations and the heatsink used. If both are stock its probably reference.

For a technical way I dont know, but just look at the PCI-E pin locations and the heatsink used. If both are stock its probably reference.
I'm not so sure they are going to let me open the box to inspect the card. Just in case though do you have links to a reference board and what this new heatsink looks like?

This is the picture I got from frys website.

6180229.big.jpg

You have 30 days to return the card to fry's even opened, save the box, accessories, reciept, etc

Also you will be hardpressed to find that card for fry's can't keep the 5870s and 5850s in stock, and the xfx get shipped to fry's less often than other brands.

I love all the info in this thread, but just to sweeten the deal, if you have a discover card you can get an additional 5% back on top of the BCB if you know how. That's an additional $21 off.

I'm not so sure they are going to let me open the box to inspect the card. Just in case though do you have links to a reference board and what this new heatsink looks like?

This is the picture I got from frys website.

6180229.big.jpg

That's the new one, with the large fan in the middle. The model number is ZNFC.

The reference design has a "squirrel cage" fan and exhausts out the back, similar to the Nvidia GTX200/400 cards. The model number for the standard version is ZNF9.

One other thing to keep in mind is that the revised PCB has the power plugs on the end rather than the side. If it's a tight fit in your case, having the power plugs on the end might make things even more of a pain.

He said "If you're not overclocking, it's not an issue".

Who do you know that water-cools their cards for stock use?

Like most vendors, it appears XFX is no longer making reference cards, unless you can find a Triple-X version, which is difficult (I have not seen the ZNF9 in stock anywhere; the ZND9 is the Triple-X version). At $367, this is a deal for people who want a stock card.

The only reference card I see being available in any numbers (other than Eyefinity-6 models) at this point is Diamond Multimedia; the `Egg has some, I think they're around $419 last I checked. Everyone else is making Rev.2 cards of their own designs.

Last edited:
So would you go with 2 of the new models xfx or 2 original style Visionteks??

Crap I just bit and bought it from newegg and came across this thread. I don't plan on ocing but I just hope it doesn't crap out on me because of the cheaper components.

Athlonxp if you don't plan on ocing then get xfx because of their double lifetime warranty.

I think a lot of whats being said is bullshit here. Maybe the components are cheaper, but my 5850 clocks with the best of them, and I just confirmed voltage regulation works on both my 5850 and 5770 boards.

Even if it does use non-reference, it's still lifetime warranty.
Website said in-stock last night, and item said "order today, ships today"

Now, it's backordered. My first major purchase from TD at $1000 total and they pull this crap. On the phone the reps said they're doing inventory this weekend and some items may not actually be in-stock, but the xfx 5870 is definitely NOT in stock.

The rep said the delivery from xfx is 2 days late and it should arrive within a week. The best he would do is upgrade the shipping to 2-day air or let me choose the diamond one instead. To me, the lifetime warranty has value. I wouldn't want to be stuck with a $400 card dead in 1.5 years.

Now, it's not even listed on the site when searching for "5870".

Crap I just bit and bought it from newegg and came across this thread. I don't plan on ocing but I just hope it doesn't crap out on me because of the cheaper components.

Athlonxp if you don't plan on ocing then get xfx because of their double lifetime warranty.
There's a lot of ignorance being thrown about by people on a lot of forums because XFX had one bad revision of 4890 cards, which happened to be a non-reference design. Note that XFX had around a dozen variants of Radeon 4890 cards, probably half of which were non-reference; the one variant was the only problematic one, and XFX replaces them via RMA when a ticket is opened..

Aside from Eyefinity-6 cards, there are vary few reference-design boards still being sold. Diamond has one through NewEgg, but I've not heard positive things about their support (sounds a lot like Diamond shortly before they went out of business the first time). Sapphire isn't making reference-design cards any more, nor PowerColor, nor XFX, nor ASUS (though ASUS is arguably the best of the non-reference designs), so if you can find one in stock, it's quite rare. So XFX is far from the only one.

As long as you aren't overclocking, it's no big deal. As for those who say "it is crap because it can't overclock", unless it's factory-overclocked, none of the rev.2 cards (other than ASUS) are being advertised for overclocking, so it's kind of silly to expect more than you're paying for.

As for those who say "it is crap because it can't overclock", unless it's factory-overclocked, none of the rev.2 cards (other than ASUS) are being advertised for overclocking, so it's kind of silly to expect more than you're paying for.
It's not silly when the reference 5870s are known to be equipped for overclocking while non-reference ones in all likelihood are not

Maybe this thread should be moved to discussions since the card is not available on TD. Seeing it bumped up got my hopes up that the card I ordered had actually shipped.

Boo. No xfx 5870 in stock at TD. They're still waiting for delivery from xfx.

It's not silly when the reference 5870s are known to be equipped for overclocking while non-reference ones in all likelihood are not
they are known to be equipped for voltage tweaking of the GPU, correct. However, how many of said reference cards have warranties that are voided by overclocking?

The tweaking is really there so that vendors can set up the card the way they want for the end user. It's nice that it allows us to overclock the cards if we choose, but it wasn't designed with the end-user in mind.

Anyway, I meant what I sad: calling a card crap because it can't overclock (when it isn't advertised as being overclockable) is silly. If the card performs the way the vendor advertised it to perform, without stability issues or other problems, then it isn't crap --it's just not what some people want, and for those people, they should buy something else.

P.S. The XFX card that Kyle linked to on the front page earlier today at the `Egg is a reference design card, and is in stock. So if you want a reference design card with the double-lifetime warranty goodness for $419, there's your option. I believe NE has either 2% or 3% Bing Cashback too.

they are known to be equipped for voltage tweaking of the GPU, correct. However, how many of said reference cards have warranties that are voided by overclocking?.
Yeah, it's a wonder why would the very same manufacturers even provide utilities to overclock their videocards. I guess it's a conspiracy to avoid providing warranty :rolleyes:
The tweaking is really there so that vendors can set up the card the way they want for the end user. It's nice that it allows us to overclock the cards if we choose, but it wasn't designed with the end-user in mind.
Preposterous claim. Manufacturers do not need software-controlled voltage tweaking, they have a lot of other means to tweak their stuff before shipping to end users. That's why they build non-reference videocards, for pete's sake! :p The programmable volterras on reference 5870s are for end users, not for the manufacturers.
Anyway, I meant what I sad: calling a card crap because it can't overclock (when it isn't advertised as being overclockable) is silly. If the card performs the way the vendor advertised it to perform, without stability issues or other problems, then it isn't crap --it's just not what some people want, and for those people, they should buy something else.
You are entitled to your opinion but you are wrong. It's not the matter of advertisement, but what's the reference vs non-reference capabilities are. Non-reference 5870s are obviously castrated in terms of tweakability and therefore less suitable for the [H]ard enthusiast crowd who like to have control over the stuff they buying - that's why they build their computers themselves instead of buying a Dell. For them, non-reference 5870 is crap. Anyone who prefers to stick to 'advertised' limitations, they'd be better off with OEM assembled computers and not buying individual parts.

Last edited:
A lot of people are repeating the same thing, but what I'm not seeing is an explanation. Last I knew, it was the non-reference design that was almost extinct, and any non-reference designs that did exist were designed to eke out the most juice possible.

Since when did the opposite occur? Is this an ATI-specific development?

Back