XFX HD 6950 2 GB?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have this card in my my system, and originally planned to go xfire when I could put money into a second. Performance wise, its a great card, bf3 looked beautiful with great framerates at 1080p. The only reason I'm turned off my this card is the unbearable noise the fan makes.

No longer planning on a second 6950 because I wouldn't be able to live with the noise of two of them. Personally I'm going to stick with 1 6950 until the new 28nm gpus start rolling out next year.

Overall id give the card a 7/10.

Any idea if I can use aluminum heatsinks on the GDDR5 modules with a core-only coverage waterblock with the XFX card?

I have 2 of the XFX in crossfire. Yeah they run great but Jesus Christ the fan is loud! Atleast 10x louder than my reference 5870s.

Get the non reference dual fan XFX model - I picked one up to replace my aging GTX280, yes, under Furmark the thing gets smoking hot 95C under a heavy overclock but it still ticks along. Even at 100% the fan really isn't a bother vs all the other single fan solutions I've been seeing.

it's so tough with these cards, I ended up getting a 2GB sapphire 6970 for 310 AR on amazon but it can get pretty loud too.

It's like , do I pay more for more cooling or do i just deal with the fan?

decisions.....

Eh I just went with the Toxic since it gets raving reviews and has good overclocking potential. Thanks for the replies everyone!

Get the non reference dual fan XFX model - I picked one up to replace my aging GTX280, yes, under Furmark the thing gets smoking hot 95C under a heavy overclock but it still ticks along. Even at 100% the fan really isn't a bother vs all the other single fan solutions I've been seeing.

I know this is a dead thread now, OP made his choice, but I agree with the quoted post 100%.

I run 2 of the dual fan XFX cards myself, and the two of them together are much, much quieter than the single XFX reference card I had originally, and the noise they do make is far less annoying. I use an Afterburner custom fan profile for a steeper/quicker ramp of the fans, and still can't say that they have ever gotten my attention. The reference card quickly drowned out all other noise in the room after about 60% fan or so.

I will say, though, that motherboard slot spacing is also a very important consideration. I didn't choose the UD3 I'm running now for this reason, but luckily it does have double slot spacing between the two PCIe x16 slots, and I'm sure this is a huge help in keeping temps and noise levels down.

My 2c.

Back